Error - Could not open frontend config file.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SSLife
    • Oct 2006
    • 4.2.x

Hello,

I try to upgrade my forum from 4 to 5, I use instruction in this page:

vBulletin 5 Requires URL Rewriting. This will be mod_rewrite or its equivalent under Apache and URL Rewrite under IIS. There is an .htaccess (Apache) file and

Setting Up vBulletin 5
    Please note that vBulletin 5 has two config.php files. It is very important that both are edited and the values of any overlapping variables like cookie prefix are identical in both files.
    1. If Upgrading from a previous version, you need to create a backup of your database before proceeding.
    2. After Purchasing, download vB5 from the your Member's Area.
    3. Unzip the package.
    4. Create a new directory to hold vBulletin 5. It should not contain any vBulletin 3 or 4 files.
    5. Copy the /upload/ your new html folder. For simplicity’s sake, I’m going to assumed it’s been renamed and refer to it as /vb5/.
    6. Rename /vb5/core/includes/config.php.new to config.php and edit it like you would for vB4. (Change the database credentials & database name.). This is similar to how you installed/upgraded vBulletin 3 and 4.
    7. Rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess (Note the preceding . IS required)

5.X specific steps
    1. Rename /vb5/config.php.bkp to config.php.
    2. Set the cookieprefix to be the same as the one in /vb5/core/includes/config.php.

Running the Upgrade Wizard
    1. Go to the install directory of core in your browser to install vB5. This is just like installing vB4. Ex: http://www.example.com/vb5/core/install/upgrade.php
    2. When finished you can view the site through the baseurl (http://www.example.com/vb5).
    I created a subdomain for that and upload the files: forum.mydomain.com

And then applying instructions I got problem when I do this one: (Rename /vb5/config.php.bkp to config.php.)

When I rename that file to config.php, core/install/upgrade.php doesn't work, when I don't rename it, it works and wants me to enter my customer number, I enter it and in next window, I see this window:

Click image for larger version

Name:	vb1.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	4364889

I fill the form and click next but it gives this error:

Please refer!
  • SSLife
    • Oct 2006
    • 4.2.x

Any help please?

I've also created a support ticket and they tell me, they can't help me because internal 500 error is a server issue!

But "Error - Could not open frontend config file." is not a server issue! And I'm trying to do this on a fresh subdomain! This 500 error starts after that config problem!

This is the error log:

PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Class 'vB_dB_Query_Insert_MYSQL' not found in /srv/forum. domain.com/core/vb/db/query.php on line 338

Any idea please?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

If that script can't open the file, you'll have to edit the configuration files manually and upload the files to your server after doing so. Since your backend already exists (hopefully it is the new file and not just copied from your vB4 install), you would just need to rename config.php.bkp to config.php and move on.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• SSLife
        • Oct 2006
        • 4.2.x

Wayne problem is when I rename that bkp file to config.php, upgrade.php doesn't work. When I don't rename it, this time it gives that frontend error.

Comment

• SSLife
          SSLife commented
          Editing a comment
          And, no of course I didn't copy it from vb4
      • Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Well, the upgrade requires it to be renamed to work. vBulletin 5 won't work at all unless it is renamed.

When you uploaded the vBulletin 5 files, you deleted all of your vBulletin 4 files?

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• SSLife
          • Oct 2006
          • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Well, the upgrade requires it to be renamed to work. vBulletin 5 won't work at all unless it is renamed.

When you uploaded the vBulletin 5 files, you deleted all of your vBulletin 4 files?
          No, I didn't. Rather than that, I created a subforum for this purpose: forum.mydomain.com

Should I delete vb4 files? In upgrade instructions there is no instruction like that as far as I see.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

It is stated immediately above the part that you quoted above. You cannot have any vBulletin 4 files in the same directory. They shouldn't be active or writing to the database in any way when you upgrade.

What version of PHP are you using?

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• SSLife
              • Oct 2006
              • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              It is stated immediately above the part that you quoted above. You cannot have any vBulletin 4 files in the same directory. They shouldn't be active or writing to the database in any way when you upgrade.

What version of PHP are you using?
              There is no Vb4 and Vb5 files in same directory.

Vb4 is on www.domain.com (active with forum closed message)

Vb5 is on forum.domain.com (in a totally clean root)

Php version is 5.6, MySQL 5.5

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

I suggest uploading the files again. If you upload as a ZIP and unzip on the server, you can better ensure their integrity.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• SSLife
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 4.2.x

Nothing, nothing! It is 20 days and my forum is closed! I can't update the software I paid 250 bucks and no one can help me!

Apperantly it is a problem about software and latest php version. I am the only one who uses latest php version here?

When I search the errors in google, I see other people had same/similar problems but unfortunately they dont explain how they got rid of the problem in threads after they solved their problems.

Can someone help please? At least you can give an idea what might it be. Will be appreciated!

Comment

• SSLife
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 4.2.x

When I check the upgrade.php, I see this:

Code:
                    if(is_link(dirname($_SERVER["SCRIPT_FILENAME"])))
                    {
                        $frontendConfigPath = dirname(dirname(dirname($_SERVER["SCRIPT_FILENAME"]))) . '/config.php';
                        $backendConfigPath = dirname(dirname($_SERVER["SCRIPT_FILENAME"])) . '/includes/config.php';
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        $frontendConfigPath = dirname(__FILE__) . '/../../config.php';
                        $backendConfigPath = dirname(__FILE__) . '/../includes/config.php';
                    }
                    Is it true? it mustn't be core/includes/config.php for backend config path?

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Well to be fair, Wayne asked you to upload the files again and you didn't come back to us after that.
                      Once we ask a customer to perform an action, they need to perform it and report back with the results. We won't do anything else on the issue unless and until we get a response.

You do not need to edit upgrade.php. If that file was wrong, we'd have thousands of customers reporting it.

It's not a php version issue if you're using php 5.6. And php 5.6 isn't the latest php version anyhow. vB5 will however work fine with php 5.6.

Please make sure you have downloaded a full fresh copy of the files from the members area, and uploaded these to the server, making sure you overwrite what is already there.
                      Then run follow the instructions below.

Below are my instructions for upgrading vB3/vB4 to vB5, please go through these and make sure you have followed EVERY step.
                      Also, when you edit the config file to add the database details, do not use Windows Notepad - use a proper text editor such as Notepad++, which you can download here:

It is important to follow the instructions carefully and complete EVERY step in the EXACT order below.

vB3 / vB4 to vB5 Upgrade Instructions

1. You need to remove all vB3 / vB4 files and folders out of the way first, (except attachments, avatars etc if you're storing these on the server).

2. Download and unzip the vBulletin 5 files.

3. You need to rename this file:

/config.php.bkp

To:

/config.php

Then, you need to rename this file:

/core/includes/config.php.new

To:

/core/includes/config.php

Then, in that file, you need to complete the following fields:

$config['Database']['dbname'] = 'forum';
                      Change forum to whatever your database name is.

$config['Database']['technicalemail'] = '[email protected]';
                      Change the email address to your own.

$config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'root';
                      Change root to the database username

$config['MasterServer']['password'] = '';
                      Enter the database password inside the '' marks.

All other fields should be left as default, unless your database is on a separate server, in which case this will need changing:

$config['MasterServer']['servername'] = 'localhost';

4. Upload all files to your server/webspace/whatever and browse to yourforumpath.com/core/install/upgrade.php.

5. Enter your customer number and the upgrade will proceed.

6. Delete the /core/install directory after the upgrade has finished.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• SSLife
                        • Oct 2006
                        • 4.2.x

Well, you are right, I didn't write to this thread after Wayne suggestion but I did, also in support section, I was discussing with Trevor, so I didn't bump this thread.

Even he tried to upload files to ftp and run an upgrade but failed and reached to conclusion that it might be from server side.

After contacting my host, he made some changes and now there is no internal 500 error anymore.

Now when I take the all above steps, it gives this error when I try to run upgrade script:

Code:
                        [B]Fatal error[/B]: Class 'vB_dB_Query_Insert_MYSQL' not found in [B]/srv/domain/core/vb/db/query.php[/B] on line [B]338[/B]

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

I see you have an open support ticket where Trevor has asked you this:

"You do have cURL compiled within PHP on your server?"

That was two days ago but you haven't responded.

So I'm a little confused as to why you bumped this thread today with this:

Nothing, nothing! It is 20 days and my forum is closed! I can't update the software I paid 250 bucks and no one can help me!
                          Because it's not 'nothing' is it? Trevor's been helping you extensively via support ticket, and has asked you a question which you haven't answered.
                          Just need to set the record straight here as you're implying in public that we have ignored you, which is simply not true.,

Just to be clear - it's the same team answering posts in the forum as it is answering support tickets.

I would suggest following this up in the support ticket - Trevor knows exactly what's been done already and it will save the rest of us running around suggesting stuff that's clearly already been done. Please start by answering Trevor's question - again, he will not do anything else if he does not have a response back, once we ask a customer something, we do not continue working on the ticket until we have a response of some sort, for obvious reasons.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------
                          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment