Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mark.hs
    • Dec 2016

extend login timeout

One of the top complaints from our users is that their session times out too quickly. Currently we have the Session Timeout = 3600 seconds (1 hour). Ideally we would like to make that longer like 12 hours for even a day. Of course we can inrease in Admin, however, this timeout is also tied to the "Who's Online" timer. So if we increase it to say 43,200 (12 hours) it will show a vastly inflated number of users online. We need a way to separate these two elements. We want users to stay logged in for most of they day, but Who's Online should really show users online in the last 30 minutes. How can we accomplish this?
    Admin for hobbysquawk.com
    VB 5.74
    PHP 8.2
    Maria DB 10.6
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Settings -> Options -> Cookie and HTTP Header Options. You want to change the wait timeout. The default is 900 seconds or 15 minutes.

Users that want to remain online for longer periods should check the remember me box when logging in. This will create a new session with every page load without increasing the Wait Timeout value.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• CB7tuner
      • Sep 2020

Is there any reason I shouldn't increase it to 43200 seconds (12 hours)? With 5.6.3, I've not seen a 'remember me' box to check. Still setting it up though so maybe I'll figure out another way.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Remember Me should be directly under the password field in the default templates. Honestly though, it should be the default and the box should be removed. If people want to "logout" they can do so.

The difference between "Remember Me" and setting the cookie timeout to 43200 seconds is that the internal session tracking also uses the cookie timeout. If you try to see who is online, it will be inaccurate.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• CB7tuner
          • Sep 2020

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          Remember Me should be directly under the password field in the default templates. Honestly though, it should be the default and the box should be removed. If people want to "logout" they can do so.

The difference between "Remember Me" and setting the cookie timeout to 43200 seconds is that the internal session tracking also uses the cookie timeout. If you try to see who is online, it will be inaccurate.
          Thanks!

Comment