X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeDer
    • Oct 2013
    • 5.3.x

SMTP Email

I have an issue with SMTP mail function on vBulletin 5.2.5 fresh install. When I use the SMTP server from SparkPost, from Gmail and from my cPanel's email account with TLS connection all of these, the emails from Maintenance > Diagnostics > Email and from Users > Send Email to Users doesn't work, all of these gives me an error about unable to connect.

If I use my cPanel's email account without TLS/SSL connection I can receive that mail from Maintenance > Diagnostics > Email but not if I use from Users > Send Email to Users.

Is it a bug or it is something else?

Regards and merry Christmas to all.
  • JoeDer
    • Oct 2013
    • 5.3.x

Anyone? I have serious problem with SMTP TLS/SSL mail setup on vBulletin 5.2.5

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

There is no known bug, it certainly works for most people. Can you post the exact error message you get when you run the diagnostic? (X out any sensitive data like username or IP address.)

Comment

• JoeDer
        • Oct 2013
        • 5.3.x

Hello BirdOPrey5

I'm on a shared server with cPanel (LiteSpeed V6.10 - PHP 5.6.28 - MySQL 5.5.52).

I've fill in SparkPost's mail settings to use an SMTP server rather than the internal PHP mail() function:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sparkpostmail.png
Views:	265
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	4361822

And I get this error from Diagnostics:

Name:	SparkpostMail_ Diagnostics.png
Views:	256
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	4361824

If I use my cPanel's email account with secure TLS settings:

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 23.08.44.png
Views:	278
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	4361825

I get this error:

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 23.19.38.png
Views:	251
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	4361826
        Attached Files

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

Your cPanel setup says to use port 465 but your email settings in vBulletin use 587. Change to 465. If that doesn't work try changing from TLS to SSL in the vBulletin settings and see if that works.

Comment

• JoeDer
            • Oct 2013
            • 5.3.x

No, you're wrong. I use port 465 for my cPanel setup and 587 for my SparkPost setup with TLS secure connection both. If you see better you'll see that the first image is from my SparkPost setup, I don't posted the same image twice with my cPanel setup, that means it has changed with my cPanel setup.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

Ahh I see now. Unfortunately there is something on your host blocking connections on those ports, like a firewall. You'll need to ask your host to open those ports, they may ask what server you need to connect to.

Are you using URLJet by any chance? They recently made a change and I had to ask them to open port 587 for my own site to connect to outside SMTP email.'

There is also a small chance your choice of username SMTP_Injection is causing a firewall or security software to block the request. You may want to try a username without SMTP or Injection in the username.

Comment

• JoeDer
                • Oct 2013
                • 5.3.x

The strange thing is that my SparkPost account and the other SMTP servers work fine on another forum software on the same shared server, I'll try to setup a VPS and test again my issue there.

All these, next year Wishing you a happy new year and I'll be back with new results

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...