Use A Default Avatar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use A Default Avatar

Sorry...I'm going to have lots of questions.
    Our old VB4 site before upgrading to VB5 had a set of default avatars logos for our different leagues. The avatars are displayed when I choose to "edit avatar". I select, "Use a default avatar" and pick one of the displayed avatars which highlights. Then click continue. Nothing happens at this point.

The avatar I am trying to use is: http://www.miniaturefootball.com/for...atars/MFCA.png
    The avatar path settings are:
    URL to Avatars: avatars

What is possibly wrong here?

While, I'm at it, do default avatars have to be loaded directly to the server now? Can't find a place in the admin to directly load these.

Comment

Same problems here.

After the upgrade to vB5, the old default Avatars vB3 are there but I am not able to change them. Even when in the User Profile at ACP I can not change the avatar or delete it.

I am stuck with my old default Avatar list (.png are shown) but I cant add new default Avatars nor delete old default Avatars - I am stuck with my vB3 Avatar llist. When trying to just change an Avatar in the User Profile I get "Upload of file failed."

Where is the old Avatar-Manager in ACP gone?
      Last edited by Bonee; Tue 5th Dec '17, 3:03pm.

Comment

vBulletin 5 has no avatar manager.
        Any avatars previously chosen by users using this method should still work, but the facility is deprecated and was removed.

It dates back to the days when gaining your own avatar was quite a tricky business. There is very little call for it in modern software.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.2 Demo - FEATURING "ROUTE BY NODE"!
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Ok, thanks for the information.

So, my Users and I can't change our current avatar to another "default" one by choosing "Use a default avatar" in the user profile pop-up, right? Because when I try to do so, nothing happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonee View Post
            Ok, thanks for the information.

So, my Users and I can't change our current avatar to another "default" one by choosing "Use a default avatar" in the user profile pop-up, right? Because when I try to do so, nothing happens.
            You're mis-reading that...it says "Use default avatar", not "Use *a* default avatar".

It just means "delete my custom avatar and revert to using the default avatar", which is the one you currently have for your own account. vB3 and vB4 didn't have that, people with no avatars just didn't display anything. Now, they get a default picture. Nothing to do with the avatar gallery which, as I said, has been removed in vB5.

Comment

I've got an idea that the administrator may still be able to select one of the old avatar gallery images on behalf of the user, by doing it in the admincp. I can't test this though. I'm pretty sure I've seen them all display there when I've worked on sites that had used them.

Comment

okay, I got that. tricky to explain my problems sometimes ...

Is there a way to remove the option then since it won't work anyway (makes no sense to have a selection of avataes as shown in the attached pics when you cant pick them in the end)

Thanks!

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                  I've got an idea that the administrator may still be able to select one of the old avatar gallery images on behalf of the user, by doing it in the admincp. I can't test this though. I'm pretty sure I've seen them all display there when I've worked on sites that had used them.
                  The Avatars get displayed but I can't do anything here. Changing the avatar this way doesn't work (I get the message "Upload of file failed.") and deleting also won't work as the "old" Avatar stays in the user-profile.

Comment

Worth voting and commenting on the bug tracker entry to have the feature added back in:
                    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-13558

Comment

I believe there is a modification over at https://vbmods.rocks that allows users to select from a number of pre-approved avatars.

You could always just create a custom page that shows the avatars in a grid with their URLs so users can copy that into the Avatar tool as well.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                        Hello,

Yes, this option is available for admins in admincp. Please, enable it for any user. I have voted in the bug tracker, I hope this option is added back soon in vb5 as in our site this option is almost critical.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralffan View Post

Hello,

Yes, this option is available for admins in admincp. Please, enable it for any user. I have voted in the bug tracker, I hope this option is added back soon in vb5 as in our site this option is almost critical.
                          The only way this would be added back would be via the tracker entry above: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-13558

Not many votes so far which implies there isn't much demand for it. However, please vote and comment on the tracker entry if you are keen to have this feature added.

Comment

Working...
                          X