Posting slow

Server Type Linux Users to Moderate 0 [View]
    Web Server Apache (cgi-fcgi) Topics to Moderate 0
    PHP 7.0.12 Posts to Moderate 0
    PHP Max Post Size 128.00 MB MySQL Version 5.6.34
    PHP Maximum Upload Size 128.00 MB MySQL Packet Size 256.00 MB
    PHP Memory Limit 512.00 MB
    Number of Queued E-Mails 0

I have tried every fix I can think of... turned off hooks, email, spam mgt anything that is extra... and looked at every log file on my server.. apache, mysql, and php log files. Nothing being shown as a problem. my vps has 4gig of mem and never is over 2. this board is the only thing on my hosting plan.

all users experience posting very slow... "working" seems to hang, but a page refresh shows post made. only user that I see that does not have problems is mine... its an admin and its FB connected and my posts go very fast.

all registered users have this issue.

any advice or help would be appreciated.
  • Necrophyte
    • Oct 2014
    • 5.2.x

If its some users, and not all. It might be a connection thing. I have users that connect to my server (In the US) and they are from UK and Germany. They have similar issues.
    I have just over 2,000 users and only a few are affected by this. All of it has come down to latency. I'm not saying this is your issue, but might be.
    Try this. Ping your server from your home machine.
    Then ping one of the users to have an issue from the server.
    Sorry I forget what version your running, Are you running 5.2.5? I believe they fixed a slow process bug in either 5.2.4 or 5.2.5.
    Maybe some of what I said will help. Maybe not.

Comment

• Glen Combe
      • Feb 2016
      • 5.1.x

moved to apache 2.4.23 same result. I think my forum has 600 users... only 56 active... so not like its getting pounded by any means.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

I know you said you checked email- but have you checked how many users are getting a copy of each post posted? Sometimes moderators may be set to get copies of all posts by default, and if you have a lot of moderators that can really slow down posting. Make sure in Admin CP -> Channel Management -> Moderator Permissions no one has the permission to send email on new topic or new post enabled.

Also use the email diagnostic to make sure emails are being delivered without error and in a timely manor. The test email should take only seconds to send.

Comment

• Glen Combe
          Glen Combe commented
          Editing a comment
          I just verified no emails are being sent to mods for new topics or for new posts... and the diag email... fast as can be. before I could flip tabs to outside email I already had it.
      • Necrophyte
        • Oct 2014
        • 5.2.x

Glenn I just paid attention to your settings.
        Your PHP memory limit is set to 512MB.
        Each apache session is going to assign 512MB of your 4GB.
        If MaxClients is 100 and you have 4,000 MB of RAM, a quick calculation will show that you should not use more than 40 MB (40 MB * 100 clients = 4 GB of RAM) for the memory_limit value.

That's not even taking into consideration memory usage for MySQL and Apache.

Try changing that, and see if your issue gets at least better.

Don't forget to restart Apache once the settings have been made.
        Last edited by Necrophyte; Sun 11 Dec '16, 8:38am. Reason: Added restart apache.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

I don;t think VB5 will run reliably with less than 128M. I've never seen this logic used to set the PHP max memory limit before.

Comment

• Necrophyte
            Necrophyte commented
            Editing a comment
            Grabbed most of the info from stack overflow. I've always had 128 as well. But figured what the hell, can't hurt.
        • Glen Combe
          • Feb 2016
          • 5.1.x

I have adjusted to test the max memory limit to 64M and 128M no difference. like I said I can hit f5 and the post is there.... The oddity is this. I have one of my acct's I use to test that is FB connected.. and it posts fast (as an admin or not)... all other users I test with( as admin or not) the "working" at the top sits and hangs from 20-35 secs?

I only see one email per post... its a test thread I have setup... nobody else has posted to it.

Comment

• Glen Combe
            • Feb 2016
            • 5.1.x

seeing this in chromes debug window... think this could be part of the issue? and if so.. how do I resolve this.

ckeditor-rollup-525.js:61 Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help, check https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Glen Combe
              seeing this in chromes debug window... think this could be part of the issue? and if so.. how do I resolve this.

ckeditor-rollup-525.js:61 Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help, check https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/.
              I don't believe so, if I read it right the code still works, it's just a warning that at some point in the future, possibly years in the future, it won't.

Comment

• Glen Combe
                • Feb 2016
                • 5.1.x

as many said ... it was a hosting issue... basically digging in and looking and fighting with my vps provider.. i was given 2gig of mem and 2 gig of swap. they claim my swap space was amazing the same.. but for the rest of us.. lets just pass on that.

so I have a new vps... 18gig of mem and the site flies.... not sure if I will told to start a new topic.. but getting this when I try to login with my facebook acct.

Error

Error information: " 500 error Internal Server Error"

scratch that... was able to figure it out... mbstring for php was not installed.

back to whole again.. and the site working great.
                Last edited by Glen Combe; Fri 16 Dec '16, 2:26pm.

Comment

• William Thomas Jr
                  • Nov 2014
                  • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Glen Combe
                  as many said ... it was a hosting issue... basically digging in and looking and fighting with my vps provider.. i was given 2gig of mem and 2 gig of swap. they claim my swap space was amazing the same.. but for the rest of us.. lets just pass on that.

so I have a new vps... 18gig of mem and the site flies.... not sure if I will told to start a new topic.. but getting this when I try to login with my facebook acct.

Error

Error information: " 500 error Internal Server Error"

scratch that... was able to figure it out... mbstring for php was not installed.

back to whole again.. and the site working great.
                  Hi Glen,

Glad you have that fixed, I know you have been battling this for awhile. If you don't mind me asking, is there a link we can visit to your site? How many active users do you have? And how much memory are you currently using on avg now that you have plenty in reserve?

I generally avg 96 active users and I avg 3-4 gigs of ram minimum. I also have a peak amount of 8 gigs of ram available. Also about your cpu cores... . how many of those are you now running? I think the information will be helpful in letting others know about what Vbulletin 5 requires ...

Enjoy,
                  William

Comment

• Glen Combe
                    • Feb 2016
                    • 5.1.x

yeah this has been the biggest headache. Oddly it probably bugged me more 10x more then my users... but I like things to work right.

http://www.coverandcushion.com/forum is the forum I host for a group of marine fabricators. User base is 56 active users... with maybe 6-10 on at any given time. I have not seen it go over 3 gig of used memory yet... and normally it running with only 1 gig consumed or less current stats
                    686.28 MB of 18 GB Used / 17.33 GB Free
                    I would almost say inmotionhosting was the issue in terms of probably bandwidth, or lack of proc time? I left no stone un-turned on the VB side. that is how I came back to hosting. In a bare VB state.. same result.

I moved to vpsdime.com and its so much leaner and cleaner in terms of what is installed on your vps from the start. I am Gentoo linux guy, so I like to custom build my Kernel, only needing what is required to keep it fast and footprint small.

I will have to get you what is powering it proc wise.. at work I cannt ssh or get to cpanel. But unlike some hosting .. my mysql and hosting are on the same server. I think that is optimal too. I know alot of people use shared hosting, and I cant see that being a great solution for a VB board. I think mid to high powered VPS is the min... and dedicated being optimal!
                    Last edited by Glen Combe; Mon 19 Dec '16, 7:04am.

Comment