• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • panoramia
    • Oct 2013
    • 5.1.x

xml sitemap submission, how?

Dear Sirs,

I am trying to submit vBulletin 5 xml sitemap to Google. I am a bit confused with the instructions in vBulletin backend. It says that it will automatically submit sitemap to Google and Bing if selected, but can it do it without configuring the access to Google Master Tools? I can't find a place in vBulletin to configure the user/password for Google Master Tools. I am a bit lost.

How do I have vBulletin submitting the sitemap every 14 days to Google? See attachment, that's all I found in vBulletin backend.

I read this post https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...ns_xml_sitemap but there is no information how it can automatically submit it? How can it do it if my google account is not connected to google developper tools? I am a bit lost about it, can you help?

The sitemap File Path is set to: /home/setandforget/public_html/community/store_sitemap

I checked that folder and there is one file called index.html file, there is no sitemap. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    Kind regards,
    Alfonso
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

For automatic submission, it doesn't attach it to your Webmaster Tools account. Google (and probably Bing) will look for a meta tag linking the sitemap in the page code. If found, it follows it and uses that to help index the site.

For the sitemap to exist, you have to generate it at least once under XML Sitemap in the AdminCP's left column.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• panoramia
      panoramia commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your reply, I am still lost. I guess vBulletin has detailed instructions on how to do that for such an important feature. Can you redirect me to that tutorial? I found an URL that explain the functions but they give no clue as to how to proceed
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

There isn't an involved tutorial because there is nothing involved about getting this setup. Should take you 30 seconds to enable.
    1. Turn on the XML sitemap in your AdminCP. Settings -> Options -> XML Sitemap Options. Set Enable Automatic Sitemap Generation to Yes.
    2. Save these options.
    3. Go to XML Sitemap in the left column and click Rebuild Sitemap. This "primes" the system so to speak so you're up and running.
    4. You're done.

The code will be added to the page and the next time a search engine bot visits it will follow the link.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment