X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpaceStar
    • Apr 2005

Question about URL and Sitemap

Dear Sir

I have had more than 130.000 sites indexed on Google before weekend. Suddenly today it has fallen down to 22.000.

Reason for that is I have more than 130.000 sites with notification NOT FOUND, and they are removed from Google Index.

When I check those URLS in Google Webmaster Tools, I find out that the status is correct - these site don't exist.

Reason for this is, they site uploaded to Google through Sitemap is e.g. www.pegham.com/forum/chow/lifestyle where as thr URL on forum is: www.pegham.com/forum/chowk-æ˜/life-áÇÆÝ-ÇÓŠÆá which is of course different.

I have now changed the channel name so the URL is www.pegham.com/forum/chow/lifestyle BUT it doesn't change the URL - URL remains www.pegham.com/forum/chowk-æ˜/life-áÇÆÝ-ÇÓŠÆá - I have done all maintenance, restarted my server, nothing helps.

How can I make sure that the URL after changing the name of a channel is changed???

Second question: How is the sitemap determined from the forum URLS?
  • SpaceStar
    • Apr 2005

Ok the unicode is not correct here - www.pegham.com/forum/chowk-æ˜/life-áÇÆÝ-ÇÓŠÆá url is as shown here:

Attached Files

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

You can change the URL for individual channels by visiting that channel on the front end. Click Edit Site, then Edit Page. Save the page when it comes up and you can change the URL.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• SpaceStar
        • Apr 2005

hmmmmm

got it.. but this is not a good solution if you have 100s of subforums, you have to do it on each of them?

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by SpaceStar
          hmmmmm

got it.. but this is not a good solution if you have 100s of subforums, you have to do it on each of them?
          Yes, as each URL is individual.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• glennrocksvb
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Mar 2011
            • 5.7.X

What Mark said. But it would be nice if when saving a channel in AdminCP or Sitebuilder, it would update the URL automatically.

For example, in a fresh install, the default forum channel is called Main Forum with default URL /main-forum. When a site owner renames it, they don't know that they also need to manually update the URL in Sitebuilder. So in most cases, the default forum channel URL stays and that's not good for SEO.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
              What Mark said. But it would be nice if when saving a channel in AdminCP or Sitebuilder, it would update the URL automatically.

For example, in a fresh install, the default forum channel is called Main Forum with default URL /main-forum. When a site owner renames it, they don't know that they also need to manually update the URL in Sitebuilder. So in most cases, the default forum channel URL stays and that's not good for SEO.
              What also drove that behaviour, was that in the very early releases of 5, renaming channel URLs often crashed and broke the routing, which was a nightmare to unpick. However, that doesn't happen any more, and even if it does we have a nifty repair tool to fix it.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• SpaceStar
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Mark.B

What also drove that behaviour, was that in the very early releases of 5, renaming channel URLs often crashed and broke the routing, which was a nightmare to unpick. However, that doesn't happen any more, and even if it does we have a nifty repair tool to fix it.
                It'd be a great help if there is a tool to fix all underlying forums as well - and you not have to put a hell of a time to fix every single URL.........

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Vote for this issue to make the change more likely: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-3421
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• SpaceStar
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    Vote for this issue to make the change more likely: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-3421
                    Thanks a lot. Much much needed. Hope this is included.

Comment