X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craig
    • Jan 2008
    • 6.X

Creating a Test/Development Installation

I'm creating a test environment, and everything so far has gone well.

I am at the last leg before running the install script. I have uploaded the tools to point the test site to a separate db that I imported a copy of my live db into. But when I navigate to run the tool I get "no_vb5_database". I know for a fact it is there. In the config file it points to it as well. I verified credentials as well.

Curious as to what else to look for.
    adktramping ~ my happy place.

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

If you're creating a mirror you don't run the install script.

Upload the files
    Edit the config files to point to the copy database AND to have a different cookie prefix (this setting is in both configs)
    It should just work, though you may need to edit the URL settings to point to the test URL.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Craig
      • Jan 2008
      • 6.X

What should the cookie prefix be changed to in the test site?

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Comment

• LockedOnLaw
        LockedOnLaw commented
        Editing a comment
        Anything different from the live site so you don't overwrite your live database.

• Wayne Luke
        Wayne Luke commented
        Editing a comment
        Whatever you want. It won't enable overwriting your database. It will cause problems maintaining sessions if both sites use the same cookie prefix. My prefixes are set to the install...

vb4_dev_
        vb5_dev_
        vb5_live_

Etc...
    • Craig
      • Jan 2008
      • 6.X

Changing cookie prefix made no change as the tool.php came back with same result.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

You don't need tools.php. If you have a live mirror of your database, just do what was mentioned in my earlier post.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Craig
          • Jan 2008
          • 6.X

Got it!

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

There is a guide that I wrote for earlier versions but the principles are exactly the same...

When a new version of vBulletin comes out, there's always a clamour for people to be one of the first up and running with the latest version. While in the case of
            Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Craig
              • Jan 2008
              • 6.X

Thats basically what I did after the above discussion. The instructions about changing the url's aren't clear, in that it doesn't tell you to save, or not.

I did, and I had to use the backspace to get back to the page to place the urls back to the live site.

Comment