• Show
Clear All
  • dbrooke
    • Aug 2016
    • 5.2.x

slow and sluggish

My Specs:
    CPANEL, VB5 Connect (5.2.3)

Hello, my version of VB5 is pretty slow on things like making a new post and logging in (which I think translates into database interaction?)... is there any standard operating procedures as far as troubleshooting this kind of thing?

Thanks!

Donovan
  • dbrooke
    • Aug 2016
    • 5.2.x

Just added a path and filename for error log and handling for "Log Database Errors to a File"... in the meantime.

Here are some errors that I am seeing quite often for PHP.. not sure if they are a problem (error_log):

Code:
    PHP Warning:  Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/cessnaowner/subdomains/forums/core/vb/library/node.php on line 2481
    and
    Code:
    PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'vB5_Exception' with message 'Incorrect HTTP Method. Please use a POST request.' in /home/cessnaowner/subdomains/forums/includes/vb5/frontend/applicationlight.php:217
    Stack trace:
    #0 /home/cessnaowner/subdomains/forums/index.php(51): vB5_Frontend_ApplicationLight->execute()
    #1 {main}
      thrown in /home/cessnaowner/subdomains/forums/includes/vb5/frontend/applicationlight.php on line 217

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

cPanel isn't really a spec... What version of PHP and MySQL are you using? What is slow? How many seconds does it take to perform these operations?

For the errors, the warning isn't a problem. Just a warning. Annoying but not a problem.

What was being done when the Fatal Error occurred? Do you have any third-party addons installed? They may need to be updated to use POST instead of GET. Should have resulted in a white screen on your site.
      Last edited by Wayne Luke; Thu 29 Sep '16, 8:43am.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• saiff
        • Mar 2010

PHP Code:
        WarningInvalid argument supplied for foreach() in .../vb/library/node.php on line 2481 
        I have the same problem . but it appears only to registered user group
        https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...re-waiting-for

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by saiff
          PHP Code:
          WarningInvalid argument supplied for foreach() in .../vb/library/node.php on line 2481 
          I have the same problem . but it appears only to registered user group
          Please start your own thread, and in it please provide the information requested here:
          Every support request should be in its own topic. Do not take over the support topics posted by others. The only thing that happens when you do this is make it more difficult to receive support. Often times we get threads like: This type of question is very difficult to answer because it provides no real information.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• dbrooke
            • Aug 2016
            • 5.2.x

Hi Wayne:
            Thanks for responding.

CPANEL: CENTOS 6.7 i686, WHM v.54
            Apache: 2.4.23
            MySQL: 5.5.48-cll
            PHP: 5.6.24 (cli)

No third-party plugin's, but I did look at my php.ini.. I have these directives set:
            Environment:
            REQUEST_METHOD = GET

PHP Variables:
            _SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"] = GET
            _ENV["REQUEST_METHOD"] = GET

Should all those be set to POST to get rid of that "Uncaught exception" Fatal Error?

I'll send a message to the Moderator to see exactly how long and what the delays are exactly.. but I believe they are when creating Topics and sending replies mostly.. literally 30 seconds sometimes. I'll get more info on that.

Thanks!
            Donovan

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

You shouldn't have to change any PHP variables. Both GET and POST should be available to the server. We shouldn't call GET. That is why I need to know what was being attempted so we can fix the code.

When you look at your database in phpMyAdmin, does it say MYISAM or INNODB for the tables?

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dbrooke
                • Aug 2016
                • 5.2.x

Innodb.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

What are the sizes of your cache and cacheevents tables? If you empty them in the AdminCP under Maintenance, does the system speed up?

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dbrooke
                    • Aug 2016
                    • 5.2.x

Hi Wayne,
                    Not sure where cache is located in order to decipher size... /core/cache shows very little in there. I went ahead and reset the cache in the admincp.

The reports I'm getting from the moderator so far are 34 seconds to post.

Sorry if my responses are delayed.. in the middle of another website build.. but I will always follow up.. need to get that forum running good!

Thanks,
                    Donovan

Comment

• dbrooke
                      • Aug 2016
                      • 5.2.x

I did some quick tests on posting *topics*... they do indeed take 34 seconds to complete.

FYI, I received my email notice right away however... it looks like it makes the post right away... I'm guessing there is a 30 second timeout on some kind of function... which is why it is taking 30 seconds to complete???

Any ideas?

Donovan

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

cache and cacheevent are tables in your database...we need to know the size of these.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------
                        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• dbrooke
                          • Aug 2016
                          • 5.2.x

Ahh... this is the info box for the cache table: Information
                          5.5 MiB
                          16 KiB
                          5.5 MiB
                          Compact
                          latin1_swedish_ci
                          Sep 20, 2016 at 05:40 AM

Comment

• dbrooke
                            • Aug 2016
                            • 5.2.x

One more note.. I have verified also that by opening two different browsers, the posts DO actually post instantly.. it's just the completion part of the browser that does the posting that takes 34 seconds.

Sincerely,
                            Donovan

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dbrooke
                              I did some quick tests on posting *topics*... they do indeed take 34 seconds to complete.

FYI, I received my email notice right away however... it looks like it makes the post right away... I'm guessing there is a 30 second timeout on some kind of function... which is why it is taking 30 seconds to complete???

Any ideas?

Donovan
                              When you look at the network traffic dialog in your browser's developer tools and the console output in the same tools, where is the delay?

Same thing for your server access and error logs anything suspicious in them? What about your MySQL Slow Query log?

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment