New message pulldown and opening of messages in general very slow

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maltair
    • Feb 2009

Okay, I'll keep posting there in our ticket. By the way, I went ahead and turned vbmessenger back on. It is a little slower when using the vbmessenger but the message system in general even with vbmessenger off was slow too.

Comment

• Maltair
      • Feb 2009

I am now on the Snappy 2000 VPS server at Hostgator. The forum in general runs much faster, but the message center and access to message inbox is still at times extremely slow, and sometimes just a blank screen and sometimes doesn't load for a full ten-thirty seconds.
      Last edited by Maltair; Fri 7 Oct '16, 8:32am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

There is a bug where the calls to this can be generating extra API calls. This can cause problems. We're working on it.

In the meantime, did you alter any of the Messenger variables in the AdminCP under Settings -> Options -> Private Messaging and vB Messenger Options?
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Maltair
          • Feb 2009

With this new server too, I tried turning vB Messenger globally off - and noticed no difference. At times when the messenger system is running slowly, with the vbmessenger on, both vbmessages and the regular private message inbox load slowly. And then at those times when messages are loading slowly, turning off the vbmessenger does not speed up the regular private message inbox loading.

But then on this new VPS server, at other times the vbmessenger and private message both load quickly.

It's just hit or miss. Sometimes messages load very fast, sometimes they "catch" and there is a white screen or spinning browser "reload" symbol for 10-30 seconds until they load. And again, when it happens this slowness applies to both the new vbmessages and the regular private message inbox.

At least with this new VPS server messages do load quickly sometimes - with the shared server they almost never loaded quickly.

Given that this is a VPS and is a pretty fast (Snappy 2000 @ Hostgator) server, unless there is something we are missing completely, such as something more we need to do as far as converting the final two database records to innoDB
          http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...24#post4352224
          or going to a higher than 5.6 mySQL, or that I need to reinstall vbulletin components or re-do the upgrade process to 5.2.4, I believe that the issue is with vbulletin software itself.
          Last edited by Maltair; Mon 10 Oct '16, 2:43pm.

Comment

• Maltair
            • Feb 2009

P.S. Hostgator went ahead and converted the last two tables to InnoDB, so all databases are InnoDB now.

Intermittent slowness / "catching" / failure to load quickly of vbmessenger and the private message inbox in general, remain.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Converting those tables wouldn't have any affect on the speed of the ajax requests for that menu. There is an active bug which is probably causing the problem. Hopefully it will be fixed in 5.2.5.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Maltair
                • Feb 2009

Well it's good to know that the issue may not be this new VPS server anyway. I have 45 days to try it out - is there any chance the bug will be ironed out before then?

Does this bug have anything to do with the

Database error in vBulletin 5.2.4:
                Invalid SQL:
                /** saveDbCache */REPLACE INTO cacheevent (cacheid, event) values

database errors?

But still, it's a good deal for this server and it is much faster than the shared was, so I think I will stick with the new VPS.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                  Former vBulletin Developer
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 5.7.X

I think Wayne was referring to this bug I found

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

I think it's Glenn's bug too.

Direct link to the Jira...looks like it should be fixed in 5.2.5:

As for the VPS - a good VPS is *always* better than shared. So you should stick with it anyhow.

MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------
                    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Maltair
                      • Feb 2009

When my message system is slow, both vbmessenger and simply opening the regular message center, or any private message threads are slow. At times all of these are fast, at other times all slow. And turning vbmessenger on or off doesn't seem to make a difference when the slowness hits. When the "slowness hits," searches also seem to be quite slow.

But the slowness hits this messenger system (and search function) alone - the basic forum remains very fast, including for posts.
                      Last edited by Maltair; Tue 11 Oct '16, 12:25pm.

Comment

• Maltair
                        • Feb 2009

I don't observe that vbmessenger is any better/faster with 5.2.5

Comment

• Maltair
                          • Feb 2009

Now I am having an issue where some PM threads just plain will not open, not via vb messenger or via the regular way at the inbox, but I AM able to access the same thread, one message at a time, via my forum iOS app. I created a ticket on this: (Ticketid: 2291853)

Comment