Optimised ACP settings for a speedy vb5 experience?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • karlm
    • Jun 2006
    • 5.3.x

Optimised ACP settings for a speedy vb5 experience?

Does there exist somewhere a list of recommended settings for all areas of the ACP to promote a fast, efficient & stable vB5 experience?

For example something alike to:

General Settings
    Login Credential Type
    : Username only
    Reason - using email & username requires 0.0000001 extra processing time.

Enable Access Mask
    NO
    Reason - Using access mask requires x, y & z.. this adds precious xxx to the something amazing or another.

Add Template Name in HTML Comments:
    NO
    Reason - adding template name does something or other and my coffee has gone cold.

Use Login Strike System
    Yes
    Reason - blah blah cold coffee & custard creams do not mix blah blah

Allllll the way down to,

Activity Stream Options
    Oldest Content

Reason - more than 50 generally requires x & y issues

Maximum Age for Topic
    xx
    Reason - a max age over xx will cause Earth's self-destruct to initiate.

And then it moves on to other areas of the ACP that require 'best practises' for a fast, efficient vB5 experience including the preferred version of MySQL & PHP and so on & so on.

If not, why not?

We really need one.

This site runs lovely & smooth - I pay good money to a good host and am perfectly happy with my host, but my site is always sluggish - I presume this to be my fault, not theirs nor the software - but there is very little 'site setup' advice that is laid out in an easy to understand & follow format for the average guy to consume.
    VB 5.4.1 - PHP 7..2.4 - MySQL 5.5.56
    No Addons - none at all.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

No. The speed is more likely going to rely on your hardware and server setup than settings in the software. Storing your CSS, attachments and avatars in the file system will help. If you have very fast latest general SSDs or M.2 drives, then storing the templates in the file system can also be beneficial. Using Memcached can speed things up as well.

In the PHP side, PHP 5.6 is more efficient and faster than 5.4 or 5.5. PHP 7 is new but it is much faster as well. Later MySQL Server versions also have significant performance benefits.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• karlm
      • Jun 2006
      • 5.3.x

Thanks Wayne, the host is fine - I see other sites on their servers and there's no issues.. My site, runs like crap though.
      No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

I would certainly start by contacting the host. Send them the link to your site, and also a link to a site that runs faster. Ask them what the difference is.
        Are those other sites running vB5? That can make a difference, vB5 generally requires more resources than vB4 which in turn requires more than vB3.

The link in your vB5 license doesn't work (please correct this!) so I can't pass comment on how it loads for me. If you want to update it I'll happily cast my eye over it to see how bad / good the speed is.

If as per your sig you are on php 5.4, ask for it to be updated to php 5.6. Or even php 7 (but if it's php 7, get yourself onto vB 5.2.4 first as there is an issue with 5.2.3 and php 7.0.9 specifically).

The two demo sites in my sig should give you an indication of how vB5 should perform....the first one is self hosted on my server, the second is cloud. Both perform pretty well for speed.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by karlm
          Thanks Wayne, the host is fine - I see other sites on their servers and there's no issues.. My site, runs like crap though.
          Do the other sites have the high amount of modules and data duplication that you do?

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• karlm
            • Jun 2006
            • 5.3.x

A lot of this data duplication only appeared after upgrading.
            No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

I was speaking of the modules you have on the front page. You have additional modules from a standard deployment. Each module adds queries to the loading of the page. For instance, you have several instances of the search module which can be very server intensive. Latest Topics, is an example. You also have two content sliders on the home page. Each of these is actually performing a search to get content as well.

One thing you can try is storing CSS in the file system. Settings -> Options -> Style and Language Options. If you're using SSD for file storage, this can actually be faster than the database in some circumstances. Not necessarily on 5400 or 7200 RPM platter drives.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment