X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • karlm
    • Jun 2006
    • 5.3.x

Save Draft - publish now!?

So I began an article and received a phone call requiring my attention. I clicked to save draft and went out the door to do my deeds. A while later, I looked at my twitter for the site and realised someone had retweeted the article.. which was supposed to not be published.
    VB 5.4.1 - PHP 7..2.4 - MySQL 5.5.56
    No Addons - none at all.
  • karlm
    • Jun 2006
    • 5.3.x

So to elaborate and bump - it is supposed to have saved a copy as unpublished - but published it.
    No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• karlm
      • Jun 2006
      • 5.3.x

And -bump-
      No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• karlm
        • Jun 2006
        • 5.3.x

buuuump
        No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• karlm
          • Jun 2006
          • 5.3.x

Guess it's another feature and not a bug or suchlike... right.
          No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• DouglasUK
            • Dec 2013
            • 4.1.x

Any resolution on this? Any simple code fix? Any bug raised on it?

Or no response to someone taking the time to report a bug?

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

The only place bugs are acted upon is in the bug tracker:

Any suspected bugs should be reported there. The development team will then investigate and prioritise.

The support team are unable to fix bugs - we are not coders.

The behaviour described in the first post SOUNDS like it might be a bug, so it should be reported so it can be checked.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

It is confusing but you need to expand the "Advanced Options" and unselect Publish Now.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by karlm
                  Guess it's another feature and not a bug or suchlike... right.
                  Bumping your posts reduces the likelihood that they will get answered. It always has. AS a customer with technical support, that will always be the quickest way to get a response.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• karlm
                    • Jun 2006
                    • 5.3.x

Yes - I get that, but when I've seen a dozen of posts being unanswered, spread over weeks, it's obvious the support has taken an arrow to the knee, from what it used to be. I know I'm only a decade-old customer who keeps paying for the latest versions with multiple license and not a snazzy new customer more deserving of support, but sometimes it gets frustrating when my decade old website running like a piece of ... rubbish only since upgrading to vb5 and then waiting days or weeks for replies to support request.s
                    No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

You keep using words like rubbish and crap. These mean nothing in support. We need quantifiable information. I look at your vb5 site and it is a little slower than some but it also has a lot of extra stuff on the main page. Other pages load fine in my quick look around. I guess that isn't your experience but without actual information there is no way we can help you.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

Browsing around myself, I've seen faster but it's not terrible.

I would start off by slimming down what is loading on the right hand side. That many modules is going to create too many queries and on anything but a powerful server will slow down the load times. Cut it down to two simple modules and see if that helps.

Turn off the Latest Forum Posts module at the top of the page as well.

I would replace the cookie notice with a normal vB notice for the time being, although I doubt that's having much of an impact but this is really for testing.

In cases like this always strip down to the minimum first....then if that makes it faster, think about what is missing and whether you really need it. Less is often more in forums, particularly so these days.

Other pages are pretty fast so I reckon the above is your problem.....too many modules....
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------
                        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• karlm
                          • Jun 2006
                          • 5.3.x

Thanks for the input. I get 'crap' & 'rubbish' may not be the most descriptive terms, but it does cover a good chunk of what's going on. The server load is ridiculous, it crashes days after reboots. I'll follow Mark's advice and see if that helps, but I fail to see how a few queries are affecting the serverload to such a degree it's killing the site. After a few days, I have to typically repair databases from phpmyadmin - this simply never - ever - happened with vb3 nor vb4.

The whole lot has gone 'head over heels' (to keep it polite) since upgrading to vb5... it is literally one problem after another after another after another. It has no addons aside from a Disquss widget, tweet widget & so a gradient background change from the default skin.

I'm reasonably confident the blame will be pushed on to the server - but I am genuinely strongly opposed to that being the issue as its a fairly robust setup.
                          No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

May I ask why you upgraded? If you were using addons and don't need the functionality of vB5's Site Builder why upgrade at all? vBulletin 4 is being kept up to handle the latest PHP versions.

vBulletin 5 is a different beast than vBulletin 4 and not necessarily a direct upgrade. It takes the software in a different direction. However you shouldn't have server crashes or have to repair databases so something is wrong on the server. We don't see that either here on this site or on vBulletin Cloud which is running hundreds of vBulletin 5 instances. Unfortunately, I don't see any information about these issues or know what your server setup is.

Are you running PHP 5.6 or PHP 7? What version of MySQL are you using? 5.6 or 5.7? Or are you using MariaDB 10? Are all your tables using InnoDB? How much memory is available on the server? How much memory per PHP Script?

What errors are listed in the Apache, PHP and MYSQL logs that could point to why the server is crashing "days after reboots"?

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• karlm
                              • Jun 2006
                              • 5.3.x

Because your bulletins recommend upgrading to latest version.

Many of these questions you've posed are one's I simply don't know how to answer. But I'll try and obtain answers.

As per my signature:
                              VB 5.2.3 - PHP 5.4.45 - MySQL 5.5.50 - No Addons - none at all.

No Addons - none at all.

Comment