X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stigur
    • May 2015
    • 5.5.x

E-mails not going anywhere

I've had some problems with emails the last few months. It worked perfectly since the beginning of the forum until one day it didn't. The forum got a lot slower at the same time and attachments stopped working. Our people hosting the server mentioned that the DB was uncomfortably big so we ended up disabling attachments and moving avatars and stuff out of the DB and into the file system. Even though it's still a bit slower than it was to begin with, the forum works a whole lot better now.

But that's not the case for the emails. Trying running the diagonistics and ended up with this message:
    No errors were returned while attempting to send the email. Check [email protected] shortly to confirm you've received the email. If you don't receive the email, try sending the test to a different address. If that fails, check your mail server's configuration.
    Checking my email; nothing.
    But if I check the forum email (spam folder) I find this:

This is the mail system at host weta01.heyday.net.nz.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]>: host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[2607:f8b0:4003:c12::1b]
    said: 550-5.7.1 [2001:4800:7811:513:be76:4eff:fe04:d439] Our system has
    detected that 550-5.7.1 this message does not meet IPv6 sending guidelines
    regarding PTR 550-5.7.1 records and authentication. Please review 550-5.7.1
    https://support.google.com/mail/?p=i...tication_error for more 550
    5.7.1 information. m41si10309807otd.105 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA
    command)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
    Action: failed
    Remote-MTA: dns; gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.1 [2001:4800:7811:513:be76:4eff:fe04:d439] Our
    system has detected that 550-5.7.1 this message does not meet IPv6 sending
    guidelines regarding PTR 550-5.7.1 records and authentication. Please
    review 550-5.7.1
    https://support.google.com/mail/?p=i...tication_error for more 550
    5.7.1 information. m41si10309807otd.105 - gsmtp

---------- Forwarded e-mail ----------
    To: [email protected]
    Cc:
    Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 03:57:18 +1200 (NZST)
    Subject: vBulletin Email Test (With -f Parameter)
    You are receiving this email because your email address was entered as an email test at The Flame of Udun Collector's Forum.

The first step of this email test script has been completed. However, a formatting test is still necessary:

A paragraph break.
    A single line break.

Another paragraph break.
    Another single line break.
    Another single line break.

If the above lines look correct, you are finished. The email features on your server are setup correctly.
    If this email is run together on one line, there is possibly a configuration error with your mail server. Please ensure it is configured correctly.
    Have I messed up some settings without knowing? Have anyone encountered something like this before?
    Same spam folder also get similar emails which members should get regarding topic subscriptions and the like.
    FlameofUdûn.net
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

If the credentials in for your SMTP server are correct under Settings -> Options -> Email Options, there isn't much we can do in this case. We have no control over whether your email server uses IPv6 or not. You need to contact the administrator of the email server. This is most likely your hosting provider. I do recommend using IPv4 if at all possible though.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Stigur
      • May 2015
      • 5.5.x

Thank you.

Do you know what the default settings for email are? As they were working for the first few months from the start of the board.
      Maybe everything works perfectly if I am to revert the settings back to default...
      FlameofUdûn.net

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

The default settings are to use Sendmail on the server which has no security, username or password. You would have to ask your hosting provider if that is available. Make sure the option to use the -F Parameter is set to Yes in vBulletin under Settings -> Options -> Email Options.

SMTP is preferred because it is encrypted and often requires a username and password.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment