non-english characters not displayed properly in emails!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • medved
    • Apr 2008

non-english characters not displayed properly in emails!!!

There are many bugs like this one http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-14058 several years old and nobody bothers to fix them. Why do they keep adding more features before fixing the bugs? Bugs should have priority. Are they not ashamed to take money for such a lousy job? A bug is a bug. And needs to be fixed immediately as found. No matter how big or small it is. Much bigger problem could be found beneath. Otherwise you will have a mess in the whole product, which is already in a mess, because of this kind of attitude to work.
    Last edited by medved; Mon 6 Jun '16, 1:17pm.
  • HowToEvery
    • Jun 2016
    • 5.2.x

I agree, there is a solution - in the page you specified, but it's weird they didn't include this solution in the original download package and many other bugs or features.
    Founder of the Israeli Youtubers forum at TheHub and tech youtuber at HowToEvery.

Comment

• medved
      • Apr 2008

Hi. Do you know how to fix it? I am not a coder. Could you please write here instructions how to fix it? Thanks a lot.

Comment

• HowToEvery
        • Jun 2016
        • 5.2.x

Originally posted by medved
        Hi. Do you know how to fix it? I am not a coder. Could you please write here instructions how to fix it? Thanks a lot.
        You found the fix - it's in the link you posted, it says there:

Go to file:
        Code:
        /core/includes/class_mail.php
        search for line (ctrl+f) :
        Code:

return strtoupper(dechex(ord($matches[1])));
        replace it with:
        Code:

return '='. strtoupper(dechex(ord($matches[1])));
        You can do it using Text Editor but Notepad++ is recommended for this kind of changes (regular text editors might use ׳ instead of ' which is really important.
        Founder of the Israeli Youtubers forum at TheHub and tech youtuber at HowToEvery.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Bugs are resolved in order of priority and something like this would be lumped in with something like greater UTF-8 support. Especially, since we're probably not going to write specific code for every character set or language out there. All I can say is to log the issues in JIRA. If the issue is logged and you experience it, then vote for it. Voting can help increase the priority. Your voice in these matters has more importance than mine. I comment and bring issues to the developer's view but rarely does it change developement priorities. Posting about verifiable bugs on the forums rarely helps either. Post in the JIRAs. Developers and Managers make the development schedule and they don't visit the forums as often as some people might think they should.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• HowToEvery
            • Jun 2016
            • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            Bugs are resolved in order of priority and something like this would be lumped in with something like greater UTF-8 support. Especially, since we're probably not going to write specific code for every character set or language out there. All I can say is to log the issues in JIRA. If the issue is logged and you experience it, then vote for it. Voting can help increase the priority. Your voice in these matters has more importance than mine. I comment and bring issues to the developer's view but rarely does it change developement priorities. Posting about verifiable bugs on the forums rarely helps either. Post in the JIRAs. Developers and Managers make the development schedule and they don't visit the forums as often as some people might think they should.
            But the bug is fixed, so why not updating the package? version 5.2.2.1 for example.
            I'm not a top leading programmer but I don't think it's so hard to make an 'if' statemant that will check: if a language isn't latin, then use the fixed code for it, and if it is, then use the original code
            (if language == "English" || language == "Latin" etc.)
            {
            original code
            }

else
            {
            fixed code for non-latin languages
            }

Sorry if I sound a little cocky, but it's annoying that I buy a 250$ software that includes about 17 bugs (at least for me) and instead of fixing it, you're telling me that I'm not in your priorities because not a lot of your customers use RTL languages.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

The bug isn't fixed. Someone posted a code change that happens to work. It hasn't been reviewed by a developer and may cause other issues. Plus it needs to go through QA after the developers are done with it. I am just laying out how to bring things into the eyes of the developer. Support doesn't fix bugs or update download packages.

Trust me when I say I know it is frustrating. There are about two dozen bugs and feature enhancements that I want to be implemented because it would help my job here and in providing support to you. However, they aren't high enough priority to be scheduled.
              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 14 Jun '16, 10:46am.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...