• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nicklas Jonsson
    • Jun 2016
    • 5.2.x

Site logo requirements

Hi,

I've tried to upload a company logo to use on our forum and I have not been able to find a format that works yet. I've tried searching for the requirements for the the image format but have not been able to find anything yet.

Image format?
    size?
    Is alpha supported?

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

It needs to be a GIF, JPEG or PNG that falls within the attachment limits set in your AdminCP under Attachments -> Attachment Manager.

If you upgraded from 3 or 4, these limits are very small and not practical in the days of phones with 12-megapixel cameras. Something like 300 X 400 pixels and 20,000 bytes. If you installed vBulletin 5 from scratch, they are more practical at 1440 X 900 and 900,000 bytes. You can edit the extension and change the dimensions and filesize to meet your needs.

We don't really care about alpha transparency. However if vBulletin resizes the images to fit within the above constraints, it will be converted to a JPEG and all transparency will be lost.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 1 Jun '16, 9:03am.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Nicklas Jonsson
      • Jun 2016
      • 5.2.x

Hi Wayne,

I checked the attachment manager and updated dimensions for png (filesize was already ok) but I cannot still upload the logo file. For png I just get a error message saying "error uploading logo", the file is well within the limits on all aspects. Some other formats is possible to upload but the forum just displays it as broken image.

Next step for me is to get our staged system up an running so we can verify if the problem is in the enviroment or in the forum settings.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Are you sure it is a PNG file and not some other file with a PNG extension? We check and disallow files which do not match due to security risks.

Broken images usually relate to the file not actually uploading. Could be a permissions problem if you store attachments in the file system. You haven't really provided a lot of information to go on.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Nicklas Jonsson
          • Jun 2016
          • 5.2.x

Hi Wayne,

Sorry for the lack of details.

What I have done so far is to take my png file (usable in lots of application) and tried to upload it to the logo in the header using the dialog. When trying to upload the png file I immediately get the error that I described earlier.

I've also taken the png file and converted it to many other formats (jpeg, jpeg-2000, tiff) and some of them also fails in the same way but tiff does not. The logo is however not displayed with anything else but the broken image link. Given that tiff works it seems to me that storage and permissions is not an issue or at least not the reason why png doesn't upload.

I've tested the upload functionality in the maintenance->diagnosis section and have no problems there as far as I can see.

My guess is that it might be the image library that has issues but I've not yet been able to follow up on that. My next action on troubleshooting this is to get our staging forum up and try it there.

Update: Error_log does not indicate any issue. access_log look ok also.

Comment

• Nicklas Jonsson
            • Jun 2016
            • 5.2.x

Tried the same images on the staging forum and they work there.

Staging and production is however not running the same php version and in the production I cannot get any GD library information so I need to check this more.

Comment

• Nicklas Jonsson
              • Jun 2016
              • 5.2.x

I'm kind of lost now. I've tried the upload files diagnostics and have no problem there. I've manually uploaded the logo and put it into the images folder of the forum but I don't know how to activate it as the forum logo.

Wayne, what kind of more info can I provide and from where would I fetch it?

Best Regards,
              Nicklas

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

The upload diagnostic just tests the uploading of the file. It doesn't actually try to store the file on the server permanently.

You can manually set the path to your logo image by editing the titleimage style variable under Themes -> Site Manager -> Select your Theme and then go to the dropdown and click the Go Button to enter the Style Variable Editor.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Nicklas Jonsson
                  • Jun 2016
                  • 5.2.x

Hi Wayne,

Thanks, that solved my immediate problem. However this also means that there is some upload issue probably related to our vb3 to vb5 upgrade which I need to address at some point.

Comment

• pmquist
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 5.7.X

Hello,
                    I made a test site to run a test upgrade from 5.5.5 to 5.6.0. When I copied the files and the database and changed all settings to make it work in test environment the site no longer has its site logo. When I try to upload a new logo i get exactly the same error as described above.

Any clues what to look for?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

The logo is an attachment. If you did not move the attachment directory and update the directory in the AdminCP under Attachments -> Attachment Storage Type, then you won't be able to upload a logo.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• pmquist
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 5.7.X

Thanks Wayne,

That gave me one clue but it still is not working. I have the correct path to my attachments directory. The file upload diagnostics in Maintenance works. Could it be something with permissions? I have tried to upload other attachments and it does not work either.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

What is the error if any that is being returned?

Is there anything added to the PHP Error Log?

As a test site, you can put it into debug mode. That will return more information.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• pmquist
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 5.7.X

This is so strange. When i had it in debug mode it just started to work. Dont see that anything else changed but now it works. Thanks for your help.

Comment