• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nicklas Jonsson
    • Jun 2016
    • 5.2.x

New User Notifications

Hi All,

Next question after the upgrade. We use the new user notifications to send information to our moderators about new users in the forum. Since the upgrade to vb5.2.2 (from 3.6.12) the emails that arrived doesn't seem to lookup the variables we need to make any sense of the notification. Same problem occurs with the greetings email sent out to the new users.

As an example our greetings email contains this (plus some more):

There is a new user, $username at $vboptions[bbtitle]
    Just to clarify the problem is that $username is not replaced by the actual selected user name. Same applies with all variables in the email.

I've tried to find some kind of documentation on how these variables are to be used but have not succeeded, might be the case that this changed between the versions.

Best Regards
    Nicklas

• Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Go to:

AdminCP > Languages & Phrases > Search in Phrases

... and search for the 'newuser_gemailbody' phrase (make sure 'Search in... > Phrase Variable Name Only is selected). Edit this phrase and remove any translation that is there for this so that it uses the default phrase.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Nicklas Jonsson
      • Jun 2016
      • 5.2.x

Wouldn't that remove our translations then? I'm planning to run a test on a staging forum so I can ensure we get the expected behaviour.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

You can see the differences between the new variables in the text and those that have carried over from the older version. The default text for that phrase is now:

Code:
        There is a new user, {1} at {2}

To view their profile, go here:
        {3}

Email Address : {4}
        Birthday : {5}
        IP Address: {6}

{7}
        You can see we've changed the variables used in vB5 so you can copy over the new default text and make any changes necessary to your email text from there.
        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Nicklas Jonsson
          • Jun 2016
          • 5.2.x

Went ahead with the necessary changes since also the registration email to the user was incorrect. Changed according to the default phrase and copied over to the 6 other languages I have also. Now it seems to work as it should and I resent invitations to the persons registering during the time when we had broken phrases.

Comment

• Nicklas Jonsson
            • Jun 2016
            • 5.2.x

Basically the change on the registration emails fixed our problem in that area but there are many other emails getting sent out to users, for example the password recovery email. Is there any way for me to bulk adjust phrases? For English I can easily just copy the default but I have russian, german, norwegian, french and more to deal with and manual adjustment takes quite some time.

Comment