• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OverallOpinion
    • May 2016
    • 5.2.x

Help installing please!

Hello!

I'm a complete newbie on this one, but am ashamed to be asking for help, because I have been able to troubleshoot computer issues my entire life by just using google, and forum searches up until this point.

I purchased prior to this recent update vBulletin 5 Connect "Brand Free" version a few months ago, and originally hired a company to build and publish my idea. Long story short, I got burned, and am doing it all on my own.

I am using GoDaddy servers ( they set it up, and insured me it would run vBulletin 5 Connect ).

The steps I have completed.

1. Download vBulletin 5 Connect
    2. Unzip
    3. Create a database in cPanel
    4. Change config.php.bkp file name to just config.php, and made sure the cookies 'bb' was the same on the file I am about to mention.
    5. Changed /core/includes/config.php.new to config.php
    6. Changed database, database username, database password.
    7. Was unable to find out what to set for my data base prefix
    8. Entered the baseurl and root address (i'm using a subdomain however example: my website is domain.com, but I am trying to put it on forum.domain.com, and I believe I took the proper steps to make that happen, and with FileZilla, accessed forum.domain.com and did the next step i'm about to mention.
    9. Uploaded all the files in the upload file (except the upload folder itself. )
    10. Went to forum.domain.com/core/install/install.php
    11. Got a basic HTTP 404 Not Found Error.

So, I am inquiring about what the issue may be, and also once solved, I would also like guidance on how to update it to the newest version that just came out last week.

Thank you in advance!
  • OverallOpinion
    • May 2016
    • 5.2.x

*UPDATE* Actually, I just discovered I had inadvertently deleted a portion of my root file. This allowed my browser to find the files, and the download seems to be going OK (hopefully I didn't just jinx it.) "INSTALLING 5.2.1..." Step 14 out of 20 complete.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Glad you fixed it....
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• OverallOpinion
        • May 2016
        • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
        Glad you fixed it....
        I'm having problems with the install. I looked into mod_rewrite problems, but godaddy says its global level stuff, and their rewrite is fine, it may be my htaccess file provided by you guys that is wrong. I checked, it is enabled, and didn't think it was the issue anyway.

So, I keep getting stuck on forum.domain.com/admincp/

The install process typically freezes on install/install.php at 73%... I reran it, same thing, additionally when I go to /upgrade, it acts funny, usually requires me to restart it multiple times, then it finally finishes and prompts me to go to /admincp.

At this time, I'm getting

" Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /admincp/ on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

Any ideas as to the issue? Thank you in advance!!

Comment

• OverallOpinion
          • May 2016
          • 5.2.x

Also forgot to add, when I go to my website, it's a very basic html style vbulletin forum homepage, and when I click on links such as "Members list" the link is dead.

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

That's a permissions error. Unfortunately GoDaddy are not the greatest host for vBulletin, to be honest.

Did the install complete?

403 errors are often to do with mod_security rules. Only the hosts can rectify that.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------

Comment

• OverallOpinion
              • May 2016
              • 5.2.x

Is there a way I can verify that is indeed the problem? I will call them now anyway.

However, the installation window is so wonky, I couldn't verify it fully installed.

The install.php stopped at 73%, so I closed out and went to the upgrade.php, and that went through after I restarted it twice.

Couldn't say for sure if all files installed properly.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

You will get an upgrade complete message at the end.
                you can always run the upgrade script again, it should complete.

The only people who can verify if mod_security rules are the issue, is your host.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------

Comment

• OverallOpinion
                  • May 2016
                  • 5.2.x

I'm on the phone currently with the folks at GoDaddy, and they can't seem to understand the admincp folder, in that it only has a img and js folder within it?

Comment

• OverallOpinion
                    • May 2016
                    • 5.2.x

Now I'm being question on how I made the database. (through MySQL on my websites cPanel.) I wonder if my lack of knowledge on what to name the prefix, if it's producing an no permission error...?

Comment

• OverallOpinion
                      • May 2016
                      • 5.2.x

Ok so, within the admincp folder, is there suppose to be anything other than the IMG and JS folders?

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

No. The contents are actually in /core/admincp, however, as with most vBulletin URLs, they are redirected using rewrite rules.

You can try accessing it at /core/admincp, although this is not a solution to the problem, just a potential means to get you into the admincp for now.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------

Comment

• OverallOpinion
                          • May 2016
                          • 5.2.x

/core/admincp worked! However, my username and password is not working! If bypassing it by using /core/admincp, did this change what the issue is? Should I still be able to login in? Where is my username and password located within the files so I can verify it is correct?

GoDaddy, was extremely confused, they went to the tutorial I used that is 4 years old and couldn't understand it.

Comment

• OverallOpinion
                            • May 2016
                            • 5.2.x

NOTE* I am getting a 404 error when I try to log in "Webpage can not be found."

Comment

• OverallOpinion
                              • May 2016
                              • 5.2.x

Also, my website still appears to be a very basic HTML version of the vBulletin forum.

Comment