• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fenderbob
    • Apr 2015
    • 5.1.x

Moving vBulletin 5 to a new domain name

Hello,

I'm just trying to get a feel as to what all would be involved for something like this.

I've recently come across an opportunity to purchase a 3-letter domain name for my forum and I'm thinking I'd like the forum moved to this domain instead of the longer one which I'm using now.

I wouldn't be changing my hosting plan or anything like that...just the domain name.

Could someone please explain to me, step-by-step, how I might accomplish this?

My biggest fear would be buying this domain name (which is going to cost several thousand dollars), only to have my site break during the transfer. For example, how would you get all the old internal links to point to the new domain name? What about all the attachments and everything else associated with the current domain name?
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

1. Close your forum via AdminCP
    2. Backup your database (just inc ase!)
    3. Update the URLs in AdminCP > Settings > Options > Site Name / URL / Contact Details to your new domain
    4. Re-open your forum via AdminCP
    5. Setup a redirect on the old domain to point to the new

In terms of attachments etc, these are referenced using a relative path so if you're not moving files etc, then they will be unaffected.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• fenderbob
      • Apr 2015
      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
      1. Close your forum via AdminCP
      2. Backup your database (just inc ase!)
      3. Update the URLs in AdminCP > Settings > Options > Site Name / URL / Contact Details to your new domain
      4. Re-open your forum via AdminCP
      5. Setup a redirect on the old domain to point to the new

In terms of attachments etc, these are referenced using a relative path so if you're not moving files etc, then they will be unaffected.
      Thanks, Trevor Hannant

Just to clarify a little further...

After Step #2, I'm assuming at this point, this is when the changes to the domain are made on the server. So after the change is made (forum intsalled at www.example1.com is now at www.example2.com) how do I reach the AdminCP at www.example2.com? I'm thinking the entire site will be inaccessible because step #3 hadn't been completed yet to have all the URLs directed properly.

Forgive my ignorance...I just want to be prepared and have an idea for exactly what to expect. Thanks.
      Last edited by fenderbob; Thu 19 May '16, 8:02am.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

You would do step 3 immediately before the move.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment