X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Karol
    • Jan 2011
    • 5.5.x

Allow Empty Date of Birth

When first moving from FUD forum to vBulletin a few years ago, date of births were missing in the migration process. This had minimal issue on vB 4.
    Now on vBulletin 5, whenever a user tries to change any profile item / account setting, an error comes up saying:

Profile page: You have entered an invalid birthday.
    Account page: The administrator has required that you enter a valid date of birth. Please go to the Pr...

Is it possible to ignore the case where birthday is null? Since registration requires a date of birth, is this an item that really needs to be checked on?

Thanks
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Under:

AdminCP > Settings > Options > User Profile Options

...have you made sure 'Require Date of Birth' is set to 'No'?
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• David Karol
      • Jan 2011
      • 5.5.x

Trevor, thanks. This option resolved the issue.

Comment

• Mygra
        • Aug 2016
        • 5.3.x

Hi Trevor I have the same problem.
        BUT it is not possible to leave the obligatory date of birth and free the user to modify it?

we ask for data input but we do not have the possibility to enter

Many users do not redeem themselves to change the date they left the forum.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Mygra
          Hi Trevor I have the same problem.
          BUT it is not possible to leave the obligatory date of birth and free the user to modify it?

we ask for data input but we do not have the possibility to enter

Many users do not redeem themselves to change the date they left the forum.
          The date of birth has nothing to do with "the date they left the forum." This is an unsupported use.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mygra
            • Aug 2016
            • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

The date of birth has nothing to do with "the date they left the forum." This is an unsupported use.
            Sorry for my bad english i use Google translate.

After upgrade 4.2.x to 5.x the user can not be change the birth date if this camp obbligatory.
            The forum does not allow the login and this value can not be modified in the personal options.

For this reason the old users they are leaving the forum :-(

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

We didn't allow users to change their date of birth in 4.2.X either. You must have had a third-party addon that provided this functionality.

You can modify an individual's date of birth in the AdminCP.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mygra
                • Aug 2016
                • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                We didn't allow users to change their date of birth in 4.2.X either. You must have had a third-party addon that provided this functionality.

You can modify an individual's date of birth in the AdminCP.
                All old users of my old vbulletin can not accessin vb5. I can not modify all users manually and i can not pay a third-party addon that does not exist.
                Many developers, if not all, no longer create plugins for vbulletin 5.

I believe that the vbulletin developers have to solve the problem and consider it same a bug. Many other customers who will upgrade will have or will have this problem.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                  • Apr 2010

So, you're saying the date of birth field is empty? Is that what is causing the problem?

If so you should be able to run a SQL query and fill in any blank dates with a valid date.

Users would then be able to login and correct the date.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Mygra

All old users of my old vbulletin can not accessin vb5. I can not modify all users manually and i can not pay a third-party addon that does not exist.
                    Many developers, if not all, no longer create plugins for vbulletin 5.

I believe that the vbulletin developers have to solve the problem and consider it same a bug. Many other customers who will upgrade will have or will have this problem.
                    Birthdays aren't required in a default installation of vBulletin. They are only required if one of the following conditions are set:
                    • COPPA for the registration of individuals under 13 in the US is enabled.
                    • The setting to "Require" Birthday under Settings -> Options -> User Profile Options is set to Yes.
                    Both of these are disabled in a default installation. If you changed these settings after years of running the software, you will need to manually update the existing users with a valid date for their birthdate. These settings are not new to vBulletin 5 and the value would be inherited from your vBulletin 3 or vBulletin 4 installation when upgrading.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mygra
                      • Aug 2016
                      • 5.3.x

I can not know how many and which users have not entered the date of birth in the past.
                      vb5 should not block access to the user if this field is missing, if the birth date it's now required.

The old user must be able to access at the personal options for obvious reasons of privacy and change the field by itself. I do not have to do it as an administrator hoping that user contact me

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

You should have a contact us form linked at the bottom. With a Notice on the front page you can tell your users to contact you if necessary. The functionalty is working as designed. If you want to change the design, you need to put in an Improvement Request here:

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment