Posting a Simple text message to Forum Overloads an Idle Server??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skicdave
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 2

Posting a Simple text message to Forum Overloads an Idle Server??

Thought I was done after spending 12 long days converting to vBulletin 5.2.0 from 3.8.7 last month. Unfortunately not. Users are getting frustrated with issues that appear to be due to overloading the server when posting. Its a new faster dedicated server. Little traffic at this time. Basically newer and faster than our previous dedicated server with upgraded versions of CentOS etc. There are usually only a handfull of users on the site and the load is really low (typically below 0.25 and CPU idle is over 99%).

However when I post a simple text message replying to a post it can take up to 30 seconds and the load skyrockets. Its not consistent though, most of the time it posts instantly but I am getting messages from a lot of frustrated users.

When this happens it sometimes comes back with the famous vBulletin 'empty response' message. Unbeknown to the user, the message does in fact gets posted and they end up frustrated with a bunch of duplicate posts. Users complain that some posts appear in the right sidebar 'most recent posts' but see they are missing from the actual forum to which they are posted. If this keeps up users will abandon the site in frustration. It has been suggested we go back to vB 3 which was rock solid... no can do after all the work I did to get it working on vB 5.

Before I spend time submitting a ticket and devoting a bunch of time to resolve this, can anyone suggest why vBulletin can sporadically overload the server when just posting a simple 'hello world' text message on basically an idle server with a ton of resources? Or offer where to look?

Single Intel Xion E3-1230V3 Processor 3.3Ghx 4 Cores 8MB Cache
    16GB of DDR3RAM memory
    2 X 1TB drives in a hardware Raid 1 configuration
    CentOS 7, Apache/2.4.6, MariaDB 5.5.44, php 5.4.16

Thanks

Dave
    Last edited by skicdave; Thu 5 May '16, 1:52pm.
    Dave - TFT Founder, Administrator & Tuck's Junky
    http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Nothing really stands out. It shouldn't do that. You deleted all the 3.8.7 files from the server correct?

Could try:
    You might try backing up the notifications table, truncating its contents and see if you still have the issue. That should have been resolved in 5.2.0 but there may be some lingering issues.

Also after posting, look at the forum in a new tab, is the post there but you're still waiting?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...