• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsNikita
    • Feb 2016
    • 4.2.x

OK. I'm confused. (upgrades)

OK. I'm confused.

I noticed there's a update patch for 5.2.0 to 5.2.1. But how do I upgrade? Do I download the entire package or is there a patch file?
    I just logged into the members area and click on 5.2.1 but it took me to some thread. Where or how do I upgrade?
  • TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

Basically you download the entire package from the Member's Area, overwrite all the old files with the new ones from the package, run the upgrade script (../core/install/upgrade.php) and then delete the install folder (../core/install). Oh, and never (!) forget to create a backup before you start your upgrade.

Maybe the manual can help you, too:

Comment

• MsNikita
      • Feb 2016
      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by TLMD
      Basically you download the entire package from the Member's Area, overwrite all the old files with the new ones from the package, run the upgrade script (../core/install/upgrade.php) and then delete the install folder (../core/install). Oh, and never (!) forget to create a backup before you start your upgrade.

Maybe the manual can help you, too:
      http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade

Thanks.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

We need to be clear on terminology as it confuses people and they get it wrong as a result.

5.2.0 > 5.2.1 is an upgrade, not a patch.
        A patch is where we release a small number of files to fix a specific issue, and the version number doesn't change. You can only use a patch on the version it was designed for...so for example if we release a patch for 5.2.0, and you are running 5.1.9, you CANNOT deploy the 5.2.0 patch - you will break your site. In that example, you would need to downalod the full 5.2.0 package and run the upgrade script.

An upgrade is where you need to replace ALL the files, and run the upgrade script, and then the version number changes.

Where patches have been released (as opposed to upgrades), the version number does not change but the admincp will append 'Patch Level 1', 'Patch Level 2' etc to the version number. These do not show on the front end. They are sometimes abbreviated to PL1, PL2 etc.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• MsNikita
          • Feb 2016
          • 4.2.x

IF we applied this philosophy to Windows 10, everyone would be re-installing windows every couple of weeks. I'm glad Microsoft releases updates in the form of patches rather than complete downloads. Just saying...

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Windows is not forum software. Two completely different concepts.

All forum software works in much the same way, as does practically anything third party that you're going to install on a server and connect to a database and a programming language (such as php).
            This was why we came up with the Path Level system some years back, to allow security issues to be patched without requiring a full upgrade (at one time, they did).
            Full upgrades tend to involve database changes which is why all the files and the upgrade script is needed.

Doing it differently would require the software to have permissions to do things on the server which you would not consider good practice and would create a huge opportunity for the server to exploited.

MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

The reason we have you upload the files is so that you retain control over those files. We can write a script that replaces them automatically or even patches bits of the files. However you will either need to run them at insecure permission levels or risk the ability to manually edit them in the future. Could even lose the right to delete or overwrite them on some servers. Since we have to work in just about any server environment, this has been a no-go for us at this time. Maybe we can add it in the future for specific users.

With an OS like Windows, they actually don't want you to edit or change specific files so they don't care what the permissions are or whether you can delete them or not. In fact, they rely on your inability to edit the files.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment