X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fenderbob
    • Apr 2015
    • 5.1.x

Experiencing Multiple Problems possibly related to file/folder structuring

I reported what I thought was a bug to JIRA. However, the support rep told me to open a thread here because there is a problem with my website.

You can see my initial problem here, and then my comments that follow:

I'm running into a really annoying issue when creating a new CMS subcategory.
    Steps to re-create my error:
    1. CMS > Category List > + Category button
    2. Create a new category called "Main"
    3. Create a new sub category inside the main category you created in step 2 and call it "Sub".
    4. Delete the "Sub" sub category you created in step 3.
    5. Try to create a new sub category inside "Main" again called "Sub"

At that point, I get the following error: "That action could not be completed. Please try again, and if this occurs again please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message."
    I was then asked to run my forum in debug mode to find out what the exact error code was. I followed the instructions exactly, but my entire site crashed and I got the following white screen error message:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/config.php:1) in /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/applicationabstract.php on line 57
    To which I was given this reply: Sounds like there is some problem with your website. Please open a support topic on the support forums to get help troubleshoot this issue.

If this is the case, and there is a problem with the way my file/folder structure is set up, that might explain why as an administrator, I'm unable to view attachments from the AdminCP. When I click on an attachment from the Attachment Type Manager, if I click on the .jpg I get a "page not found" error and if I click on "View Content" link, I get "Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message."

I've had this problem with attachments since I first installed the VB5 software, but I've always assumed it was a bug with the software and not a problem from my end. Could I get some feedback?

Could someone please help me?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The error is caused by one or more characters before the <?php in the file. This needs to be deleted. The character could be called a BOM which is not visible. To see it, you have to tell an editor like Notepad++ to show all characters. You can also get rid of it by saving the file explicitly as an ANSI Text file.

The other issue needs more information so you'll need to get debug mode on. If you have trouble with this, follow up in the ticket.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• fenderbob
      • Apr 2015
      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      The error is caused by one or more characters before the <?php in the file. This needs to be deleted. The character could be called a BOM which is not visible. To see it, you have to tell an editor like Notepad++ to show all characters. You can also get rid of it by saving the file explicitly as an ANSI Text file.
      Thanks...

But I've downloaded Notepad++ and opened both config.php files (the one from the root and the one from core>includes) and in both cases, neither file has any characters before the "<?php" "Show all characters" is enabled.

Any other ideas why else I'm unable to get the debug mode working? Also, assuming I get debug mode working, should I turn the forum off from the AdminCP during debug mode?
      Last edited by fenderbob; Mon 4 Apr '16, 6:27pm.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Mar 2011
        • 5.7.X

You don't have to turn off the forum. You can set debug mode to only yourself by checking your IP address.

PHP Code:
        if ($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] == "xxx.xxx.xx.xxx") {

$config['debug'] = true;

PHP Code:

$config['Misc']['debug'] = true;

Replace xxx with your IP address. If you don't know your public IP address, Google for "what's my ip" and it will tell you your public IP address.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• glennrocksvb
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Mar 2011
          • 5.7.X

I tried to reproduce the issue on 5.2.0 PL1 but I couldn't. What version are you seeing this issue on?

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• fenderbob
            • Apr 2015
            • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
            You don't have to turn off the forum. You can set debug mode to only yourself by checking your IP address.

PHP Code:
            $config['debug'] = true;

PHP Code:
            $config['Misc']['debug'] = true;

Replace xxx with your IP address. If you don't know your public IP address, Google for "what's my ip" and it will tell you your public IP address.
            Ok, new error now with your suggestion of making debug mode only available for my IP.

Here's the error:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/config.php:1) in /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/cookie.php on line 44 Error :Unable to set cookies on line 46 in /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/cookie.php

I'm running 5.2.0 Patch Level 1

Comment

• fenderbob
              • Apr 2015
              • 5.1.x

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with my forum's debug mode? Should I open a support ticket?

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

This is the BOM issue that Wayne talked about. You have invalid characters in your config file...you won;t be able to see them.

Make a brand new config file using a blank copy from the members area, and edit it using ONLY Notepad++. Using Word or Wordpad or default Windows Notepad will cause errors.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• fenderbob
                  • Apr 2015
                  • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                  This is the BOM issue that Wayne talked about. You have invalid characters in your config file...you won;t be able to see them.

Make a brand new config file using a blank copy from the members area, and edit it using ONLY Notepad++. Using Word or Wordpad or default Windows Notepad will cause errors.
                  I am using Notepad++ (not normal Windows notepad, word or anything else)

I have "show all characters" enabled. There's literally nothing there in front of <?php. I really don't think this is a BOM issue.

I have a backup of these two config.php files and I'm comparing them in Notepad++ vs. the ones I've edited and they're identical other than the changes I've made to enable debug mode.

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

I would strongly urge you to create a new config.php file from scratch.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------

Comment

• fenderbob
                      • Apr 2015
                      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                      I would strongly urge you to create a new config.php file from scratch.
                      Yeah, that worked.

Ha sorry for being a pest. I had no idea programs like regular notepad or dreamweaver would put in invisible, invalid characters like that.

Debug mode is finally working. Thank you!

Comment

• fenderbob
                        • Apr 2015
                        • 5.1.x

Ok, so now we can move on to the CMS category error. Here is the error from debug:

Debug: Error
                        Duplicate route data: Research/audio\-books/philosophy(?:/page(?P<pagenum>[0-9]+))?
                        occurred in file /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/core/vb5/route.php on line 659
                        Trace

Function createRoute in file line
                        Function call_user_func in file /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/core/vb/api/route.php line 458
                        Function createRoute in file /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/core/vb/library/content/channel.php line 686
                        Function createChannelPages in file /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/core/vb/library/content/channel.php line 166
                        Function add in file /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/core/vb/library/article.php line 78
                        Function createChannel in file /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/core/vb/library/article.php line 36
                        Function createArticleCategory in file /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/core/admincp/cms.php line 1584
                        Function require_once in file /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/includes/api/interface/collapsed.php line 220
                        Function relay in file /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/frontend/controller/relay.php line 39
                        Function admincp in file line
                        Function call_user_func_array in file /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/index.php line 86

Comment

• fenderbob
                          • Apr 2015
                          • 5.1.x

Ok, and while I have debug mode active, here is my other issue:

I click on Attachments > Search > View Largest Attachments >

From here, I have a listing of a bunch of images. If I click the .jpg file, I still get a "Page not found" message.

But I do get this error if I click the "View Content" Link:

Debug: Error
                          Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message.
                          occurred in file /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/frontend/routing.php on line 239
                          Trace
                          • Function setRoutes in file /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/includes/vb5/frontend/application.php line 21
                          • Function init in file /home/MYDBSE/public_html/forum/index.php line 58

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            Wayne Luke commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The attachment issue is unrelated to your main problem. It is a known issue that affects all installations at this time.
                        • fenderbob
                          • Apr 2015
                          • 5.1.x

Thought by now someone would have given me an update regarding the two errors I posted. Is vBulletin aware of these errors or is there something wrong with my website?

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

There's an issue with the routing on your site....we're going to need a support ticket with admincp and ftp access in order to troubleshoot further.
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------

Comment