Can't Edit Conversation Detail Module For Ads in SiteBuilder?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brad Padgett
    • Jul 2014
    • 5.1.x

Can't Edit Conversation Detail Module For Ads in SiteBuilder?

Hey,

I'm trying to edit the conversation detail module in the site builder so I can put an ad between the first and second post.

When I click to edit it in the site builder the edit screen doesn't come up. Nothing comes up. I've tried using a template that wasn't default and other options as well but the edit screen just won't come up.

It won't let me edit it. I'm following Glens tutorial on how to put an ad between the first and second post but it still won't let me edit the conversation detail module. No other modules act this way.

Let me know if this is a bug.

Regards,

TheXboxCloud
    "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Brad Padgett
    • Jul 2014
    • 5.1.x

Still haven't received a reply.

I'm hearing this is also occurring for someone else as well. Someone made a post just today about this happening to them too.

Here's the report in the tracker:

Last edited by Brad Padgett; Mon 28 Mar '16, 7:59am.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

When you look at your browser's console are there any javascript errors on the page?

Can you try the fix on the last comment here: ​http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-15593
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Brad Padgett
        • Jul 2014
        • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        When you look at your browser's console are there any javascript errors on the page?

Can you try the fix on the last comment here: ​http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-15593

I don't know but glad it's fixed on 5.2.1

You may also have another problem. Ads are not showing up for me at all on any ad module I place, in all areas of the site.

It just shows a thin piece of the module. At first I thought it was google adsense but I've been with adsense for almost a year now and checked back with them and the ads are supposed to appear. It says if you have 1 site approved, then ads will show up for any site you have.

So this issue may go beyond the conversation detail module entirely.

It shows a thin empty piece of module.

Like I said, at first I thought it was google adsense but I think there could be an issue with the ad module too.

I'll let you be the judge though. Do you think the issue is also with the ad module?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

The issue with ads should have been resolved in 5.1.6. Edit one of the ads and save it. Does that resolve the problem?

Do other HTML modules work? If not, make sure Ads, HTML and PHP aren't disabled under Settings -> Options -> General Settings.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• IggyP
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by TheXboxCloud

It just shows a thin piece of the module.

Do you think the issue is also with the ad module?
            ya thats actually something i also went thru....that and them not displaying right when u get too many in the site builder too....many issues admin side who can tell them apart?

well i can tell u cuz i suffered most of a whole day for it...

the problem is it wants to display them on all the pages not just the ones u specify, but it only displays the bar, except where u specify the image should show....

so for a workaround you have to choose to exclude every single add from every single page# its not supposed to be on, or you can overwrite each template, which will screw up your modules and create other problems lol.....i chose the first route but ouch....not fun i promise u may try the other way or wait a few more versions idk...

i do have the codes for those fixes if you like tho fwiw

Comment

• glennrocksvb
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Mar 2011
              • 5.7.X

If you are using responsive Google Adsense unit, the parent element should have explicit width which is required in order for Google to calculate the width of the responsive ad and display the appropriate ad size.

I think that's what's happening here. I have updated the CSS in my tutorial to fix this issue.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-using-plugins
              Last edited by glennrocksvb; Tue 29 Mar '16, 7:18am.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Here is the JIRA on the centering of ads causing Adsense to disappear - ​http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-15591

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Brad Padgett
                  • Jul 2014
                  • 5.1.x

No the ads still don't work. Even if I try to edit it again.

I don't have it disabled, I just checked to make sure.

Not sure what's causing this issue. It's just a thin bar that appears. Also Glenn Vergara, the issue isn't caused by the specific code you placed because it wouldn't work for a homepage ad either.

I'm not sure what's causing it. I'm going to try some more to see if I can get it to work. It can't be google adsense because my site TheXboxCloud works fine with the ads.

Let me know what you all think this could be. I really need to get ads up soon. Thanks.

- TheXboxCloud

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 5.7.X

Can you post a link?

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Brad Padgett
                      • Jul 2014
                      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
                      Can you post a link?
                      The site this is happening on is (www.webtechsurface.com)

Now I believe this may possibly be a real bug because I tried to not hide the title and see if the title would show up and it didn't.

Wayne Luke if you want to start a ticket with me early tomorrow or whenever you get this I'll let you log into my admincp and give you the ad code. I hate to be the barer of bad news but there's no explanation for why this is happening.

Since the title of the ad module wouldn't even show but did show a thin module strip where the ad should be, I'm not sure what to think.

Part of me hopes the issue was on my end but as I've tried multiple options for trying to fix it, nothing has worked. TheXboxCloud is an active google adsense site and I've tried ad code from both ad channels for both sites.

Glenn Vergara , I took the ad code down for now so the thin strip won't be there anymore but I'll work with Wayne tomorrow or whenever business hours are to find out a solution to the problem. Thanks.

Comment

• IggyP
                        • Mar 2012

hmm...well if the homepage ads dont even show, it would be more than the issues i suggested...but you may soon run into those as well....to verify, ensure that the ad is configured to display for the right usergroup ie "registered users" and on the appropriate channel and if that still shows a flat bar, its def a different bug...

Comment

• Brad Padgett
                          • Jul 2014
                          • 5.1.x

Originally posted by IggyP
                          hmm...well if the homepage ads dont even show, it would be more than the issues i suggested...but you may soon run into those as well....to verify, ensure that the ad is configured to display for the right usergroup ie "registered users" and on the appropriate channel and if that still shows a flat bar, its def a different bug...

I tried that. I even tried setting it to just Administrators so I could see it.

Still didn't work.

It doesn't bother me that I found this bug if it is one but hopefully it can get fixed. vBulletin always seems good about fixing things.

Wayne Luke message me when you are ready for me to make a ticket so you can see the issue first hand. Then you can re-create it from your end and we can find out exactly what to do about it. Thanks.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

Make a ticket any time. Any of the support people can look at the issue. If necessary, they can always loop me in.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Brad Padgett
                              • Jul 2014
                              • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              Make a ticket any time. Any of the support people can look at the issue. If necessary, they can always loop me in.

I made a ticket the same day you posted this but haven't received a reply in 2 days. You may want to check on it for me.

(that is if it's going to be fixed in 5.2.1)

Comment