Vbulletin 5 and SEO it is horrible, why and how to fix it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fionix
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
    Your meta description should not duplicate your content. It should describe your content. Duplicating your content is exactly that: duplicate content.

Even the most basic HTML pages use a title and description which occur only once per page.

Google does not distinguish between tags, keywords, and descriptions any longer since so many sites tried to game the rankings by keyword stuffing.

Now their algorithm ignores those factors entirely.

But it does penalize for duplicate content.
    TOTAL NONSENS - why did you reply to this thread you don't get it, do you.. Some of the largest forums including Vbulletin, Webhostingtalk, DigitalPoint and the list continues are all getting the meta description from the intial post.. some of them switched to a different forum script because of major issues with Vbulletin, anyway, I like the vbulletin script and if they can make something that works or someone can do a MOD like the VBSEO in the past everything would just be fine.
    Cyprus Company Formation
    |Cyprus Offshore Bank Account| Offshore Company Formation| Asset Protection Offshore

Comment

• fionix
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
      Your meta description should not duplicate your content. It should describe your content. Duplicating your content is exactly that: duplicate content.

Even the most basic HTML pages use a title and description which occur only once per page.

Google does not distinguish between tags, keywords, and descriptions any longer since so many sites tried to game the rankings by keyword stuffing.

Now their algorithm ignores those factors entirely.

But it does penalize for duplicate content.
      Here for your wisedom: Are meta descriptions important for SEO ? Does google read them ?

Not a factor for SEO but important for better description in search engine results, usually you want to have nice description of the page. If you don't set it google will fetch first text that he finds on the page, for example Menu items, part of the text from the page, sometimes even text from footer.

Cyprus Company Formation
      |Cyprus Offshore Bank Account| Offshore Company Formation| Asset Protection Offshore

Comment

• In Omnibus
        • Apr 2010

I "get it" perfectly. I never said meta descriptions aren't important. I said they shouldn't be the first line of your content. I said they should describe your content.

Meta descriptions are 200 characters maximum so they need to tell users what they will find on the page.

Here is a google search for "sports news." The meta descriptions are what appear under the titles. No one on page one is duplicating the first line of their content as their meta description.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sports news.png
Views:	243
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	4340626

Now, if you want to manually go through every page and edit the meta description of every page to match the first line of text, which likely tells people absolutely nothing about what is actually on the page that's your decision. But I certainly don't want an automated SEO program doing it.

Comment

• fionix
          • Jul 2007

Are these forums?
          Cyprus Company Formation

Comment

• In Omnibus
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by fionix
            Are these forums?
            Why would that matter? Search engines don't index content differently based upon the URL being a forum.

The best way to "fix" the meta description issue is to have the first 200 words of every page be a summary of the entire page.

That would hold true for any indexed page, not only for vBulletin forums.

Google Webmasters says the two biggest mistakes made with SEO are pages with missing or inaccurate titles and pages with missing or inaccurate meta descriptions.

The meta descriptions should match commonly searched terms for the specific niche.

If the title is generic and the meta description is nondescript then either google won't know the content of the page or google won't accurately display the content of the page.

That means Joe Searcher either passes by your page because it doesn't answer his question or he clicks on your page and stays for all of two seconds because it doesn't answer his question.

On my own forums I require accurate, descriptive thread titles and I require the first 200 words to be a summary of the page content. If not, I delete it.

Google wants the title and meta description to answer: Who What Where When Why How for people using their search engine.

There isn't an SEO add on available that does what google wants so I don't use them.

Comment

• fionix
              • Jul 2007

As I said, you just want to hear your self and you only write what you want, don't read what the problem is here!!

You said:
              On my own forums I require accurate, descriptive thread titles and I require the first 200 words to be a summary of the page content. If not, I delete it.
              How the hell should that matter if the forum / VBULLETIN don't put anything in there other than the first 3 words?
              How does it help that people write a great meta description if Vbulletin don't put anything in there other than the first 3 words?
              How it matters that the topic starts with the greatest meta description if Vbulletin does not read it and put it in the META DESCRIPTION of what Google reads?
              How does it matter that the forum has great titel, pictures and the user put the best article up in the world on your master peace of a forum IF VBULLETIN DON'T READ THE TOPIC AND DON'T PUT IN THE META DESCRIPTION OTHER THAN THE FIRST 3 WORDS??

HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO WRITE THAT THE ISSUE IS THAT THERE IS NO META DESCRIPTION IN MY TOPICS FOR GOD SAKE!

You try to put your self in a position here to be a genius or you are simply hired by the Vbulletin team!

@glenn vergara can you please check the test topic I put up there? I getting bored to discuss this nonses with PostPro Forums!
              Cyprus Company Formation

Comment

• In Omnibus
                • Apr 2010

How the hell should that matter if the forum / VBULLETIN don't put anything in there other than the first 3 words?
                How does it help that people write a great meta description if Vbulletin don't put anything in there other than the first 3 words?
                How it matters that the topic starts with the greatest meta description if Vbulletin does not read it and put it in the META DESCRIPTION of what Google reads?
                How does it matter that the forum has great titel, pictures and the user put the best article up in the world on your master peace of a forum IF VBULLETIN DON'T READ THE TOPIC AND DON'T PUT IN THE META DESCRIPTION OTHER THAN THE FIRST 3 WORDS??

HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO WRITE THAT THE ISSUE IS THAT THERE IS NO META DESCRIPTION IN MY TOPICS FOR GOD SAKE!

You try to put your self in a position here to be a genius or you are simply hired by the Vbulletin team!
                The first three words? This is the meta description for this very page.
                <meta name="description" content="I have been using a lot of SEO tools and one of them (used by thousands) is Screaming Frog which spiders through the entire forum and pulls up the SEO settings i.e. meta description and meta title.. just these" /> It looks like a lot more than three words. Getting hostile about a problem that is obviously not one everyone has doesn't help anyone.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

As I said, you just want to hear your self and you only write what you want, don't read what the problem is here!!

You said:

@glenn vergara can you please check the test topic I put up there? I getting bored to discuss this nonses with PostPro Forums!
                  Please keep your comments civil. People are trying to help you in their own spare time.
                  Last edited by Mark.B; Thu 31 Mar '16, 9:04pm.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• fionix
                    • Jul 2007

Maybe he want's to help, then I don't need this guys help! it is no help what so ever.
                    Cyprus Company Formation

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Maybe he want's to help, then I don't need this guys help! it is no help what so ever.
                      If you post in our support forums, you don't get to pick and choose who replies.

Either the incivility stops, or we will close the thread.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• arlarson
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 3.5.x

Has anybody developed a fix for this issue? A script that will update descriptions for imported threads? That would be tremendously helpful, as compared to the default.

Comment

• saiff
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by arlarson
                          Has anybody developed a fix for this issue? A script that will update descriptions for imported threads? That would be tremendously helpful, as compared to the default.
                          upgrade to the latest version 5.4.0
                          https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...re-waiting-for

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

I've created a JIRA to increase the length of the Meta description and og:description tags. http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-18324

Since this topic is a year old and the original issue was resolved, I am going to close it. If you would like to see this change made, then please comment on the JIRA and vote for it.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

I've created an ad hoc script that can be run from the command line and update the meta descriptions of topics without one. It is attached here: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-19285

Make sure to create a database backup before using this tool.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment