X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kenny62
    • Mar 2016
    • 5.1.x

email notifications not working properly

Hello, after our recent upgrade to vB 5.2 the system for email notifications has not been working properly. Even when the settings are set for instant email notification and I am definitely subscribed to a given thread, I'm going in and randomly finding people have posted to my subscribed thread and I have absolutely not received the alert. There are other members on the forum experiencing this also. Advice appreciated.

Kenny
  • gcombe74
    • Mar 2016
    • 5.1.x

my board is doing the same thing.. VB5 patch level 2.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Mar 2011
      • 5.7.X

Go to AdminCP > Maintenance > Diagnostics > Email and try sending to the email your vB account is tied to. From there you will see if sending the email from vB is working or not. If it says successful and you don't see it in your inbox, then it might be on your spam folder. If not in spam, then your email provider might have blocked the email.
      Last edited by glennrocksvb; Fri 25 Mar '16, 8:46am.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Kenny62
        • Mar 2016
        • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
        Go to AdminCP > Maintenance > Diagnostics > Email and try sending to the email your vB account is tied to. From there you will see if sending the email from vB is working or not. If it says successful and you don't see it in your inbox, then it might be on your spam folder. If not in spam, then your email provider might have blocked the email.
        The thing is that the problem seems intermittent - I am receiving email notifications like normal then go to the forums and find posts for which I did not receive any notification (referring of course to subscribed threads). The solutions you're suggesting Glenn would be creating a consistent result, not working one minute not working the next. This seems more like a bug, or some other explanation.

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

If you suspect a bug, the best thing to do is to report it in the tracker, so that the developers can investigate and establish whether it is a bug or not.

I have to say I have not experienced this behaviour on any site I have worked on, so I suspect another cause.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• glennrocksvb
            • Mar 2011
            • 5.7.X

The purpose of email diagnostics is to find out where the actual email sending issue occurs. If it works on vB side then you know email sending works from vB. The issue could be on mail provider if you don't receive the messages. It could be in spam or totally blocked by email provider. If you receive the messages, then it's good on both sending and receiving sides.

Can you post a screenshot of your notification settings?

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Kenny62
              • Mar 2016
              • 5.1.x

Click image for larger version

Name:	notification settings.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	4340462
              The thing is, this was not an issue prior to the upgrade to vB 5.2. With our previous version of vBulletin email notifications were working fine, it's only been since the upgrade that this intermittent thing happens where an email notification does not seem to be generated. I'd say maybe I was imagining things but it's happened several times to multiple members.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                • Mar 2011
                • 5.7.X

What version did you upgrade from?

Comment

• Kenny62
                  • Mar 2016
                  • 5.1.x

We had vbforum_4_4-2-0_Patch_Level_3_VBF4AF761E before the recent upgrade to vB 5.2 patch level 1.

Comment

• Fhabio
                    • Sep 2015
                    • 5.1.x

Hello

I'm having the same problem here.
                    vB 5.2 patch level 2

Some mails are going, some are not.
                    I've test the diagnostic tool and the email sent by the diagnostic tool properly arrived in my inbox, so the e-mail system is working I guess..

Here are the emails that aren't coming:
                    comment_blogentry_gemailsubject
                    comment_blogentry_gemailbody
                    comment_grouptopic_gemailsubject
                    comment_grouptopic_gemailbody
                    comment_post_gemailsubject
                    comment_post_gemailbody

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Fhabio
                      Hello

I'm having the same problem here.
                      vB 5.2 patch level 2

Some mails are going, some are not.
                      I've test the diagnostic tool and the email sent by the diagnostic tool properly arrived in my inbox, so the e-mail system is working I guess..

Here are the emails that aren't coming:
                      comment_blogentry_gemailsubject
                      comment_blogentry_gemailbody
                      comment_grouptopic_gemailsubject
                      comment_grouptopic_gemailbody
                      comment_post_gemailsubject
                      comment_post_gemailbody
                      Please start your own thread with full details of the problem, thanks.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment