Message Center Preview Problem 5.2.0 PL 1 - Shows messages in inbox ... inbox empty

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mackey
    • Mar 2014
    • 5.1.x

Message Center Preview Problem 5.2.0 PL 1 - Shows messages in inbox ... inbox empty

A registered member of my forum (5.2.0 patch level 1) advised that the message center inbox preview showed messages that were not in his inbox. The member could figure out how to clear this. (I took over his account and fixed it). I don't think this is that big a deal . I was able to clear it, but if it happened to one, it probably happened to others. I made a video (1.3 mins) of it for the member - it's an unlisted YouTube video, intended only for members - so if interested you can view it on my forum. I would have put the video here, but ....
    I had already deleted the source video file when the member requested I bring it to your attention. It's a little tongue in cheek, so just skip 25 seconds ahead in the video and turn down the sound if you're easily annoyed.
    Last edited by Mackey; Tue 22 Mar '16, 6:17pm.
    ~ MackeyFlipClockFans.com
  • William Thomas Jr
    • Nov 2014
    • 5.1.x

Glad to see your forum/website up and running Mackey!

Comment

• glennrocksvb
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Mar 2011
      • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Mackey
      I would have put the video here, but ....
      I had already deleted the source video file when the member requested I bring it to your attention.
      You don't need the video file to upload a video. You just click the Link icon next to the camera icon and paste the YouTube URL in the link field. Just like how it was done on your site.

Anyway, I haven't encountered that message center issue before.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Mackey
        • Mar 2014
        • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
        You don't need the video file to upload a video. You just click the Link icon next to the camera icon and paste the YouTube URL in the link field. Just like how it was done on your site.
        Anyway, I haven't encountered that message center issue before.
        I know how to post a video..... I just thought It was just a little too, .... sappy to post here in its current form. I was trying to be respectful. Anyway. I have not been able to reproduce the problem. So I'm thinking its not a big deal.
        ~ MackeyFlipClockFans.com

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

That is a weird issue, can't say I've seen it before. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the video, glad you got it figured out. Will keep an eye out if I see the issue on any future sites.

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by ssfnl
            Not sure if it is discouraged to bump an old thread. But since the initial problem was not able to being reproduced and one of the members on our forum has the same issue, I thought to reply anyway. The problem is described as:
            - No indication of a new message is being displayed
            - Inbox is empty
            - Message center -> Preview Inbox shows new content

The member in question added that he is convinced that these messages are replies to discussions (or basically threads) that he has deleted before. Could this be causing this issue which is still present in 5.4.3?
            Make sure you are using database thread marking.
            AdminCP > Settings > Options > General Settings > Topic/Forum Read Marking Type
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

I did the following-

In VB 5.4.3 I created a new topic as one user in Chrome.

I then opened that same topic as a different user in Firefox.

I typed a reply in Firefox but did not submit it.

I went to Chrome and soft deleted the topic I had previously created.

I went back to Firefox to submit the post on the now deleted topic.

I got an error saying I didn't have permission to submit the post.

No notifications were generated for either user.

I went to Chrome and permanently deleted the topic.

I again tried to post on Firefox and this time got an error about an invalid node specified.

Checked again, no notifications generated.

---

Are these the same steps you or your users are following resulting in the notifications?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

I apologize I'm just not folloqing. Can you edit my step by step list to provide step by step instructions for duplicating the issue?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Seems like a bug. Deleting a Private Message reply shouldn't have any affect on this. You should create a bug report and outline the steps to recreate it.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment