X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rnedelkow
    • May 2014
    • 5.1.x

Backup database on Rackspace

Does anyone know how to backup forums using the backup utility on Rackspace? I don't want to create an entire disk image, just backup the database to install on a new server.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

The best way to backup your database is using ssh on the command line, if you have access.

In terms of backing up via your host's utility, it would be best to ask your host. We couldn't say for certain.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• rnedelkow
      • May 2014
      • 5.1.x

Thanks Mark. I installed the backup utility on the server. Can you tell me which files I need to back up?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

There isn't really a list of files. You can try by backing up the data directory of MySQL. I have no idea where that would be on a rackspace server. However, a straight backup of these files may not allow them to work on a new server. The prefered backup method is using mysqldump at the command line. This gives a single .sql with all the database information. Once this is imported on the new server, the database will conform to that server's settings and available version.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• rnedelkow
          • May 2014
          • 5.1.x

Thanks Wayne. I tried that and got a single sql file in the dump folder so I think that's it. Just curious, should the backup contain all of the images, customizations etc?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

It will contain what the database contains. With the default settings, this would be themes, css changes, language changes, all user information, all post information, attachments and custom avatars. Anything not stored in the database via either settings or design, would need to be backed up separately and should be able to be obtained via SFTP.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• rnedelkow
              • May 2014
              • 5.1.x

Perfect. Thanks again.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...