X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leong
    • Oct 2014
    • 5.1.x

Upgrade of version 5.1.3

Hi, currently using version 5.1.3, due to the recent security vulnerability, therefore would need to do an upgrade. Would hope someone could answer my following question if i were to upgrade.

1. Is there any instruction/steps on how to upgrade?
    2. Is this in a form of file by file replacement?
    3. As my forum is being 'attack', the virus file are being quarantine therefore is it ok if i do the upgrade now?
    4. Is it advisable that i upgrade till 5.1.8 instead of 5.1.9.

As this is going to be my first time upgrading therefore appreciate some help here. Thanks.
  • TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

1.) Some info regarding upgrades in the documentation: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade

2.) Yes, you have to upload the files of the latest vB5 version (currently 5.1.9 PL3) to your server/webspace and replace/overwrite the old files. However when upgrading from vB 5.1.4 to vB 5.1.9, you also need to run the upgrade script afterwards.

3.) I guess so, but if you want to be sure about that, please wait for an official answer from vB staff.

4.) On these forums vB staff usually recommends to use the latest stable version, which is currently vB 5.1.9 PL3. There might be very few scenarios where you would want to use an old version (e.g. for compatibility reasons), but for most vB installations that should not be an option.

Comment

• Leong
      • Oct 2014
      • 5.1.x

Thanks for replying, will run thru the guide while waiting for VB stuff to reply.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

1. Is there any instruction/steps on how to upgrade?

2. Is this in a form of file by file replacement?
        No, you need to upload the whole package.

3. As my forum is being 'attack', the virus file are being quarantine therefore is it ok if i do the upgrade now?
        You should upgrade as soon as possible, but upgrading alone isn't a magic fix to secure your site. It depends how you're being attacked.

4. Is it advisable that i upgrade till 5.1.8 instead of 5.1.9.
        You should upgrade to 5.1.9. Always upgrade to the latest version of your branch.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Leong
          • Oct 2014
          • 5.1.x

Hi, during the upgrade, do i just off my site? or is there any 'shut' down required? also, do i need to backup the database? Thank you for any help
          Last edited by Leong; Sat 28 Nov '15, 6:53am.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Mar 2011
            • 5.7.X

1. Turn off your site in AdminCP > Settings > Options > Turn Your vBulletin On or Off > Site Active (No) > Save
            2. Backup your database
            3. Upload the vBulletin files to your server via FTP.
            4. Run the upgrade script. in the browser.
            5. Delete /core/install directory.
            6. Turn on site.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment