• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • William Thomas Jr
    • Nov 2014
    • 5.1.x

Database Optimize Tables - Table does not support optimize

Hi,

When I try to optimize tables in the database I receive, "Note: Table does not support optimize, doing recreate + analyze instead". Is this normal? If not, is there a way to optimize the tables?

Thanks,
    William
  • Kevin Sours
    Lead Developer
    • Apr 2008
    • 5.5.x

Optimize is a MyISAM concept and doesn't really apply to InnoDB tables. However there are some vaguely similar things you can do with InnoDB tables so the mysql optimize command does those instead when the table is InnoDB. This is perfectly normal if you are running InnoDB.

Comment

• William Thomas Jr
      • Nov 2014
      • 5.1.x

Please disregard, I found an informative article: http://www.laurencegellert.com/2011/...ith-mysql-5-1/

Thanks Kevin,
      William
      Last edited by William Thomas Jr; Fri 16 Oct '15, 8:20am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

All optimize does is delete content marked for deletion. It provides no real optimization to make your database run faster overall or improve query results. The only time you should really run it is if you bulk delete a lot of content. It isn't something that we recommend running on a regular basis. In fact, in the past, running this has caused customers to damage their databases due to other issues.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...