Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kellym
    • Feb 2006

Upgrade to 5.1.9 doesn't complete

My upgrade from 5.1.4 to 5.1.9 didn't complete. The upgrader gets stuck at the very end, at 110%, Processing XML Step 14 of 20. Now what???

Not a single upgrade has ever fully completed since I've upgrade to version 5. So I'm not stuck here forever, I cancelled the remaining part of the upgrade, deleted the install directory and started up the forum again.
    kelly's red beet factory, www.redbeet.com
  • kellym
    • Feb 2006

The login button doesn't work now either. Can ANYBODY help? Seems like very few people are using vBulletin 5... If I can't get this working again I'm going to switch to another forum software. Anyone know of ones that can import from vBulletin 5? Lots will import vB 3.x and 4.x...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Refresh the upgrade page when at step 14 out of 20 and it will continue. It will continue the upgrade from where it left off.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• kellym
        • Feb 2006

I refreshed the page and it still hangs... for hours. It never gets past step 14. At this point no one can login to my site. The login popup box won't pop up, so no one can login and my forum is effectively dead until I get this fixed.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

You'll need to open a support ticket so someone can take a closer look at your site.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• bmbrady77
            • Sep 2015
            • 5.1.x

Originally posted by kellym
            I cancelled the remaining part of the upgrade, deleted the install directory and started up the forum again.
            I think this is where you messed up. The upgrade process is making changes to your MySQL tables' data and structure. If you deleted the install directory and cancelled the upgrade, you're effectively stuck between versions.

I agree that the install/upgrade scripts are VERY poorly written. I've heard every excuse in the book, from "Are you using a GoDaddy server?" to "edit your php.ini settings to..."..None of it matters. I have the forum up and running on GoDaddy shared servers, as well as a test on a dedicated server. Same issues no matter what. The scripts hang..then they hang..then they hang again..

I had to restart the upgrade process 43 times to get it to complete......This is aggravating, but to give some partial credit...it DID eventually complete...you have to just babysit the upgrade and keep restarting the upgrade process until it does finally complete...Your best bet would be to restore a copy of your old database (hopefully you backed it up before you began) and then start the upgrade process over again and keep with it until it's done..

For what it's worth though...I feel your pain. If I hadn't spent $250.00 for this software, I would have dumped it before I ever got as far into it as I am now..

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bmbrady77
              I had to restart the upgrade process 43 times to get it to complete......This is aggravating, but to give some partial credit...it DID eventually complete...you have to just babysit the upgrade and keep restarting the upgrade process until it does finally complete...Your best bet would be to restore a copy of your old database (hopefully you backed it up before you began) and then start the upgrade process over again and keep with it until it's done..
              This is not the normal experience. The largest majority of upgrades take less than 5 minutes and do not require a single refresh. However the settings and services from your hosting plan can affect this outcome.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment