X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robyn L
    • Apr 2015
    • 5.1.x

Correcting post counts

I have a small site just a couple of months old. For some reason the post counts are now showing as wildly incorrect. For example, I have an AdminTest identity which I use occasionally if I need to log on but not as admin. My post count for that was under 10 but now showing 937!! Can you tell me please why this has happened and how can I correct it?

I can see in the maintenance section an 'update post counts' but I'm a bit worried about the warning it comes with. Would running this update fix the problem?

This will recalculate all of your user's post counts based on their CURRENT posts in the database. Do not run this if you have pruned posts, manually changed post counts, or imported from another forum package and you wish to maintain your users' current counts. Your members' post counts will PROBABLY decrease so only run this if you believe you really need to! Once they decrease you cannot bring them back up without restoring your database or manually editing each user. You have been warned!
    Last edited by Robyn L; Mon 13 Jul '15, 12:56am.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

The function you mention will simply recalculate every user's post count based on the actual number of posts assigned to that user that are present in the forum, so it should fix the problem.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Robyn L
      • Apr 2015
      • 5.1.x

I ran the update, but the posts numbers are now completely wrong, and now of course all the members user titles and ranks are incorrect. I just don't know how this has happened. I'm just a novice at this, but in my very limited experience it would seem to me that this version is very prone to bugs. I guess there is nothing I can do now to fix this???

What has happened now seems so random. Some members have had their post count slashed by 50%, some by 80%, etc. etc.
      Last edited by Robyn L; Mon 13 Jul '15, 5:15am.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Unless actual posts have been deleted, then the counts would not normally change.
        The update tool works fine, so the only other explanation is that someone (or an add on) is deleting your posts.

All the counter does is take each user, and count their actual posts on the site, it then updates their post count to that total.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Robyn L
          • Apr 2015
          • 5.1.x

No posts have been deleted. Apart from a friend who occasionally logs on to approve new members I am the only person with admin access. My AdminTest membership went from a low figure (under 10 if my memory is correct) to 937. After I ran the update that is now showing as just 1. The only other thing I have on my site is a Photopost gallery that is integrated with VBulletin. I paid the Photopost developer to install this for me and everything has been working correctly up until today.

EDIT: I'm thinking that what has possibly happened is that for whatever reason the posts/comments in the Photopost gallery and the posts in the forum had previously been combined and now it is just showing comments from the forum, which is understandable. I assume there is no way of getting these combined totals back, and I'm wondering what happened in the first place that made the post count corrupt?
          Last edited by Robyn L; Mon 13 Jul '15, 6:22am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...