• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Griphus
    • Oct 2007
    • 3.6.x

Need to decrease database size.

Hi,

VB 5.1.6, I've been a VB user for... probably a decade? My database is 2.5G and I need to get it under (and keep it under) 1G. I've done a couple hours of research, have my attachments, avatars, and other pictures stored in the file system instead of the database. I pruned whatever tables I could confirm weren't needed in this version, and I've increased my search indexing to words of 4 letters minimum and decreased the max to 10.

What else can I do? My largest tables are closure (388M), node (344M), text (297M), cache (134M), and cacheevent (118M).

I am not finding a reasonable way to prune old posts, but have started trying to delete older forums that aren't used much any more - it's had a negligible impact thus far.

Let me know what other questions you have, or if there's anything else I can do to help you help me.

Timothy
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Sounds like you're on godaddy. Find a better webhost. Those tables are not going to shrink reasonably.

Comment

• Griphus
      • Oct 2007
      • 3.6.x

Thanks for the thought. While I understand that might have to be the solution, I'd prefer not to since I am on a multi-year contract with them. Do you have any other ideas? Can you suggest other hosts?

Thanks,
      Timothy

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

There is no other decent solution. GoDaddy are not the greatest of webhosts for vBulletin.

You can manually run these quesries to make two of the tables smaller but they will just grow again:
        DELETE FROM cache
        DELETE FROM cacheevent
        NOTE: Do not run those queries on ANY other table - you will permanently break your site!
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Griphus
          • Oct 2007
          • 3.6.x

Ok... are there hosts that VBulletin does work well with?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Any webhost who doesn't reasonably limit your database less to your storage size. ASmallOrange, Lithium webhosting, etc.

Comment