X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottct1
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.2.X

How to make Opt In Forum?

On my vb 4 I had joinable forums where a user could opt in and be given a secondary user group so they could access other forums that were hidden unless you opted in.

How do I do this on vB5? And no I don't want to use groups.

Thanks!
    Yup I run a BIG Board.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

This isn't possible currently in vBulletin 5. There is a bug preventing users from opting into Secondary Usergroups due to the lack of an interface. You would have to manually add them to the Secondary Usergroup at this time.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• scottct1
      • Jan 2003
      • 4.2.X

Dang...

Is there a way to set it up so people can try to join it and have to be approved by a staff member (Mod or admin)

I don't really want to move to Xenforo over this one feature which worked great in vb4.
      Yup I run a BIG Board.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

There is no way for users to join a Usergroup. There would have to be an API and interface. Neither exist in vB5. Feature-parity was not a development goal with the people who originally developed the version.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• scottct1
          • Jan 2003
          • 4.2.X

Wayne if the feature is listed in the manual (which it is), is listed in the software (it is) listed in the admin cp (it is) then it should be there.

This is not a bug its sloppy work.

I am really really trying to give vB5 a chance here, but I keep running into roadblock after roadblock. I even thought about password protecting those forums instead of making them visible by a joinable usergroup then I would password protect those forums instead.. BEEP NOPE vB5 does not support password protected forums anymore.

If you want to know why people are not using vB5 and are moving away from vBulletin its because of things like this.
          Yup I run a BIG Board.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Yes it is in the AdminCP... Unless you make all your users into Administrators, they can't access it. There is no where on the front end of the site to show the Opt In Usergroups or to allow users to Opt In. You can manually assign users in the AdminCP if you want to do so though.

I know exactly why people are still using vBulletin 4. However I don't make the decisions on how the software is developed. I pass your ideas and suggestions on and others determine if they are worthwhile or not.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment