X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • klaj3981
    • Apr 2014
    • 5.0.X

upgrade problem

Thanks in advanced for help. I just did an upgrade from 5.1.0 to 5.1.6 patch level 1. The upgrade installer worked until the last step when it froze at "processing xml" step 20 out of 20.
    After refreshing the page and waiting for a few hours it still wouldnt work. While i waiting for it to progress I updated my PHP from version 5.4 fast CGI to 5.6 fast CGI. Now im getting this error

"Error :A database error occured, please check the database settings in the config file or enable debug mode for additional information. on line 1121 in /home/***/golfcartsforum.com/core/vb/database.php"
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

What is the rest of the error message?

Did you verify that the information is correct?

When you upgraded to PHP 5.6, did you make sure that the mysqli and mysqlnd libraries are available in the php.ini file?

In your config.php file is the database class set to mysqli instead of mysql?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      • Aug 2000

For the step 20 issue, do you have a lot of styles installed within your vBulletin? Storing the CSS in the database instead of the file system can help this step process more quickly.

Wayne Luke
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• klaj3981
        • Apr 2014
        • 5.0.X

Thanks wayne, I changed the PHP back to 5.4 and it resolved the database error message. I am now able to continue the upgrade process, however it is still stuck at step 20 out of 20 "Status: Processing XML, Step 20 of 20"

To answer your question, I have 2 styles installed - the original VB style, and 1 very modified style (maybe this is the issue?). Thoughts?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

Well between 5.1.0 and 5.1.6, we added 9 new styles to the package. However we just overwrite those styles and do not attempt to merge changes into them. What Step 20 is trying to do is merge any template changes into your custom styles. If there is an issue with this, it could time out. If you haven't edited the Default Style, you can simply skip step 20 and use the Find Updated Templates tool in the AdminCP to find any critical template changes that need to be made to your style.

Though if you have good notes, it may just be less time consuming to reapply your customizations to a new style.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• klaj3981
            • Apr 2014
            • 5.0.X

if i skip the last step, is my heavily modified style still there? can i use my heavily modified style? will i need to reapply all my customizations to it?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

It will still be there. It should still work but new features may not. I don't know what shape it will be in to be honest. Since Step 20 isn't finishing, changes aren't getting merged in as it is.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• klaj3981
                • Apr 2014
                • 5.0.X

fair enough, what instructions must I follow to skip step 20?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• klaj3981
                    • Apr 2014
                    • 5.0.X

I tried to get to the admin cp, but every single page including the home page on my website gives me the same error message...

"Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/***/golfcartsforum.com/config.php:1) in /home/***/golfcartsforum.com/includes/vb5/cookie.php on line 44 Error :Unable to set cookies on line 46 in /home/***/golfcartsforum.com/includes/vb5/cookie.php"

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

That means you have a blank character before the <?php in your root config.php file. Make sure to save the file as ASCII and there are no extra spaces at the beginning of the file.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• klaj3981
                        • Apr 2014
                        • 5.0.X

I couldn't figure out the error in the original config file, I used the backup which fixed the error message

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

It was most like a UTF-8 BOM character which wouldn't actually show in the file and Microsoft loves even though it breaks many things, including PHP. We recommend using a tool like Notepad++ to edit files. You can see all the hidden characters if need be, save as ASCII or UTF-8 without BOM. Both of which can be critical in supporting your site.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment