X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fionix
    • Jul 2007

shorten url - vbulletin 5.1.7

Hi,

I was just wondering how you get the URL shorten in Vbulletin 5.1.7 ?

From what I can see you have it done here at vbulletin.com - see url below... there is this number (which I assume is the post count) - How can we set this up and where?

Thank's for your help.
    Cyprus Company Formation
    |Cyprus Offshore Bank Account| Offshore Company Formation| Asset Protection Offshore
  • TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

The URLs in vB5 are 'as is', the AdminCP doesn't offer any options to modify these. There is an improvement request though to implement more URL options, and by the looks of it it is very popular (it has received many votes): http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4528

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

This site uses the default vBulletin 5 URLs. They should work similarly on any vBulletin 5 website.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• fionix
        • Jul 2007

hmm, strange, we didn't changed anything on our forum in regards to the URL as far as we are aware of http://www.cclogic.com/forum/ I don't even know where we should be able to do that, however, the URL on the forum are horrible long and Iøm sure it affect's the google ranking somehow.
        Cyprus Company Formation
        |Cyprus Offshore Bank Account| Offshore Company Formation| Asset Protection Offshore

Comment

• fionix
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by TLMD
          The URLs in vB5 are 'as is', the AdminCP doesn't offer any options to modify these. There is an improvement request though to implement more URL options, and by the looks of it it is very popular (it has received many votes): http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4528
          Thank you for making me aware of it, glad to see that I'm not alone with this issue, which seems indeed to be a real issue! Let's hope they any time soon will be able to sort this out, it must be simple.
          Cyprus Company Formation

Comment

• fionix
            • Jul 2007

No comments at all ??
            Cyprus Company Formation

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

Comments on what? There is an improvement request that is already linked here. That is where you would see any comments.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• fionix
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Lynne
                Comments on what? There is an improvement request that is already linked here. That is where you would see any comments.
                Okay, so there is no solution to the problem for now and until it comes with one of the future updates, correct?

Why is one of your support team then posting this:
                This site uses the default vBulletin 5 URLs. They should work similarly on any vBulletin 5 website.
                It is obvious when you look at the URL's from www.vbulletin.com/forum that they don't have these endless long urls, they are still very very long, but at least seems to be shorten at the end.
                Cyprus Company Formation

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

The URLs depend on the forum structure. If you are down one level, then you have the name of that forum in the URL. If you are down two levels, then you have both of those forum names in the URL. So, if you have long forum names, your URLs are going to be very long by the time you get three levels down.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                  vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                  Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                  If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Replicant
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Lynne
                    The URLs depend on the forum structure. If you are down one level, then you have the name of that forum in the URL. If you are down two levels, then you have both of those forum names in the URL. So, if you have long forum names, your URLs are going to be very long by the time you get three levels down.
                    Not to mention if the thread titles are full blown questions or statements.

Originally posted by fionix
                    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    Because it's true.

It is obvious when you look at the URL's from www.vbulletin.com/forum that they don't have these endless long urls, they are still very very long, but at least seems to be shorten at the end.
                    No, it's not obvious.
                    This thread URL is
                    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-5-connect/vbulletin-5-connect-questions-problems-troubleshooting/vbulletin-5-support-issues-questions/4319383-shorten-url-vbulletin-5-1-7, which is not a seemingly short url.

You can edit the URL's in site-builder for each category and forum if that's what you're looking for. You have to do them one at a time. The nodeid's will still be part of the thread URLs though.
                    Last edited by Replicant; Sun 26 Apr '15, 1:29pm.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Okay, so there is no solution to the problem for now and until it comes with one of the future updates, correct?

As has already been stated, the URLs used on this site are entirely default and exactly the same as any customer would get if they installed their forum in a sub folder called /forum/.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

The URL structure in vBulletin 5 is http://top.level.domain/path/to/forums/contenttype/parentchannel/channel/subchannel/[...]/nodeid-nodetitle

contenttype = forum, blog, group, articles
                        parentchannel = the top level channel within that contenttype
                        channel = the first child.
                        sub-channel = the second child.
                        [...] = any further sub-channels
                        nodeid= the actual id of the content
                        node-title = the title of the content.

A short URL would be: http://top.level.domain/path/to/forums/contenttype/nodeid-nodetitle

Though not everyone agrees with that. Some just want the nodeid. Others just want the title.

One thing you can do is manually shorten URLS within content using the node keyword in your URL. .../node/4319383 would lead to that node. www.vbulletin.com/forum/node/4319383 (reloads this page.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• fionix
                          • Jul 2007

Okay... seems it's just as it is.. thank you all for your replies and comments... hope there will be some options for url shortening in future updates.
                          Cyprus Company Formation

Comment