• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Josh789
    • Apr 2015
    • 5.1.x

Problem with Facebook Connect

Hello,

I have "successfully" setup Facebook Connect, to the point that the "Login with F" link appears on new user registrations and the "Connect to Facebook" option is available in the user account section for existing users.

However, when one attempts to actually sign into Facebook, they get the error message: "Error: An unexpected error was returned: 'Facebook SDK failed to initialize'"

I have searched Google and these boards to no effect. It appears that other vB Connect boards have this working, so I'm not sure where to troubleshoot the issue on my forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Kevin Sours
    Lead Developer
    • Apr 2008
    • 5.5.x

Are you running PHP 5.3?

Comment

• Josh789
      • Apr 2015
      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Kevin Sours
      Are you running PHP 5.3?
      Yep

Comment

• Josh789
        • Apr 2015
        • 5.1.x

I should have provided the board info so others could see what I mean: http://forum.highonhockey.com/

Comment

• Kevin Sours
          Lead Developer
          • Apr 2008
          • 5.5.x

vB 5.1.6 and in particular the new Facebook SDK doesn't support php 5.3, you'll need to upgrade to at least php 5.4

Comment

• Josh789
            • Apr 2015
            • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Kevin Sours
            vB 5.1.6 and in particular the new Facebook SDK doesn't support php 5.3, you'll need to upgrade to at least php 5.4
            Ah, your question was a bit of a trick one then. I asked my host who claims that their servers are updated with the latest version of PHP. vB 5.1.6 had no issues installing and runs fine other than that Facebook issue and a few other bugs that I believe are already known issues with vB Connect.

Are there any other troubleshooting steps I can take? Do you know of a way I can verify for myself which version of PHP is installed on the server my site is hosted on?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

The latest version of PHP is 5.6.7. PHP 5.3.X is no longer supported by the PHP Group. The requirement for PHP 5.4.X when using Facebook Libraries is a requirement from Facebook that we have to adhere to.

To see your PHP version, you can go to Maintenance -> View PHP Info. It will be listed at the top of the resulting page. If you are using a web server with cPanel, you might be able to change your version to a higher version under Software -> Select PHP Version. If that is possible, I suggest using PHP 5.5 for bug fixes and performance improvements in PHP.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Josh789
                • Apr 2015
                • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                The latest version of PHP is 5.6.7. PHP 5.3.X is no longer supported by the PHP Group. The requirement for PHP 5.4.X when using Facebook Libraries is a requirement from Facebook that we have to adhere to.

To see your PHP version, you can go to Maintenance -> View PHP Info. It will be listed at the top of the resulting page. If you are using a web server with cPanel, you might be able to change your version to a higher version under Software -> Select PHP Version. If that is possible, I suggest using PHP 5.5 for bug fixes and performance improvements in PHP.
                You and Kevin were 100% right. I was able to use the information in the adminCP to go back to my host and get them to upgrade to 5.5.9. Now Facebook Connect works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your help

Comment