X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DWhitaker
    • Dec 2014
    • 5.0.x

Custom User Profile Fields on Memberlist and Searchable

I have googled for this and all I get is VB4 information.

When you make a new user profile field you have the option to make it appear on the memberlist. I cannot get my custom field to appear on the member list as this option allows.

I would also like my users to search for people by using this custom profile field.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

This is not possible on vBulletin 5, the fileds on the member list are fixed. the setting is obsolete and will be removed in a future version.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• zkengle
      • Aug 2019
      • 5.7.X

It would be nice if that option was enabled, rather than removed. We have a 'location' field for the members of our camping organization. Would be great to have that listed on the members list directory.
      Vote for Features!!
      * Member Lists in Groups *
      * Mass Private Messages to Groups and Usergroups *

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

There is an open issue to restore this functionality. It can be viewed here: https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-10542

There hasn't been much customer feedback on this issue and very few votes. We use both feedback and votes to determine how important an issue is to customers. Especially when they were created by a staff member (or former staff member). This is so we can work to provide things that customers want and aren't drowned in features brought on by nostalgia or misguided backwards compatibility goals.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
          • Apr 2010

I'm torn on functions such as these because privacy is such a huge concern. I can certainly see how it benefits sites that involve people meeting up in person. It is a detriment to sites that place anonymity and privacy above all else. Like every other feature or function it can be coded from least restrictive and abridged or infringed upon with restrictions or it can be coded from most restrictive and selectively granted. Even as an attorney I am reluctant to write a privacy policy that has to be so inclusive or exclusive of certain types of personal data. It's virtually impossible to account for every scenario. Having said all of that I do think it's a useful function for a good number of vBulletin customers and am surprised it has so few votes over the course of six years.

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

I think some type of searchability and display control should be brought back. I'm against going too far with it, because what happens with the member list and user profiles is people become paranoid and either restrict or reduce the functionality so much it becomes pointless. You go on some forums and even if you are a member you cannot view the member list or even search for a user's posts, with 'privacy' cited as the reason. If people want that much privacy, don't join a forum!

One of the big problems with all the current privacy hysteria generally is that it drives the wrong behaviours and does little to encourage the right ones.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• In Omnibus
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Mark.B
              I think some type of searchability and display control should be brought back. I'm against going too far with it, because what happens with the member list and user profiles is people become paranoid and either restrict or reduce the functionality so much it becomes pointless. You go on some forums and even if you are a member you cannot view the member list or even search for a user's posts, with 'privacy' cited as the reason. If people want that much privacy, don't join a forum!

One of the big problems with all the current privacy hysteria generally is that it drives the wrong behaviours and does little to encourage the right ones.
              I don't disagree. There is a limited "reasonable expectation of privacy" when you join a public forum. Most forums users are innocent and well-intentioned people who aren't well-versed in how information can be misused or abused so they tend to give out more personal identifying information than they should. To compensate for that forums owners lock down data to the point where forums become impersonal and virtually unusable. There has to be a happy medium.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...