Upgrade from vB4 to vB5 - signatures work, avatars don't?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Griphus
    • Oct 2007
    • 3.6.x

Upgrade from vB4 to vB5 - signatures work, avatars don't?

Hi,

I am in the finishing of an upgrade from vB4 to 5, and I'm trying to bring all my attachments, signatures, and avatars with.

I have the attachments and signatures working, but I am not getting my avatars to work.

I have avatars, profile pictures, and signatures all in the /core/vb/ folder. When I upload a new avatar it is going into the correct folder, but the avatar pictures do not update.

Also, what is the difference between avatar photos and profile photos now?

Thank you,
    Timothy
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Why are you storing them in the /vb/ subfolder? That is used for the internal API and you shouldn't be storing user supplied data there. If you move them into the database do they work?

Difference between Avatars and Profile Photos is that Profile Photos no longer exist in vBulletin.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Griphus
      • Oct 2007
      • 3.6.x

Hi Wayne,

I have vB installed in my web root. With this most recent update I've been unable to discern after about 30 minutes of research what folder is now considered my forum root (web root, core, vb, etc). I've tried several different folder locations. I just tried putting them back in my database and they are working now. I'd like to get them back out into folders, though - I already need to find a way to shrink my database and this will exacerbate that.

Thanks,
      Timothy

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Where ever the contents of the upload folder are located is your forum root. Should have the sub-forums and an index.php file, config.php file and either a web.config or .htaccess file. Those three files are all that is needed for your "Forum Root" directory.

You should store your avatars in either public_htrml/customavatars (you'll need to create this) or public_html/core/customavatars (should exist) since you said you installed in the root of your site. You shouldn't touch any other directories unless directed to do so. You should delete all files from previous versions of vBulletin.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Griphus
          • Oct 2007
          • 3.6.x

So the avatars are now working in the thread view, but not in the general forum view, or any other activity streams, etc. (i still have them in the database, and have rebuilt in the admin panel).

edit: i re-uploaded mine and it is now working how I would expect. Any way to do this for all users?
          Last edited by Griphus; Sun 5 Apr '15, 3:53pm.

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Make sure you rebuild custom avatar thumbnails in AdminCP > Maintenance > General Update Tools.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment