X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foxx.
    • Oct 2010
    • 4.0.x

vB5 Connect 30 months old

i purchased vB5 Connect 30 months ago (2 and 1/2 years for a bit of a different perspective). with over 3000 JIRA, there is no way i can implement this product into my live environment. 30 months with no ability to recoup on my investment. this is truly sad. do we have an anticipated date when this will be functional enough to actually work in a live environment or is there a way to get a refund on something I simply cannot use?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

I would honestly say vB5 has been useable since at least 5.1.0, and more recently with 5.1.5/5.1.6. Some more good stuff was on the horizon for 5.1.7+ but I'm not sure what has changed since I'm not apart of those meetings anymore.

Comment

• Farook Ahmed
      • Jan 2015
      • 5.1.x

Got the update, well its a lot better. So when do we see the 5.1.7

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

If it follows the usual pattern, there'll be a public beta of 5.1.7 in a few weeks.

5.1.6 improves performance on large sites with the changes to the notification system.
        5.1.7 will bring considerable improvements to responsive.

Obviously there's a lot more to each release than just those things though.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Farook Ahmed
          • Jan 2015
          • 5.1.x

Would This one be sorted out. One question, most web hosting companies offer unlimited data storage, while actually only the php is unlimited and the mysql is limited, actually very limited. What part of the forum data is stored in the mysql. Photos attachments ect..are they all in mysql.

Comment

• Foxx.
            • Oct 2010
            • 4.0.x

with over 3,000 open issues in the vBulletin 5 project, almost 1,000 of these listed as major or critical. and with upgrading is the cause of many bugs in and of itself. issues like users not being able to view their notifications, PMs, or profile page. Attachment images not showing up. New Posts / Today's Posts not working correcting- not showing posts in order and missing some completely. being unable to access threads. having to clear the cache on a regular basis else seeing the wrong avatars for the wrong users. i mean a lot of bugs. the product is much better than at initial release but not where it would need to be for me to consider using it on a live site.

again my question is when will it be useable on a live site, if not soon can i get a refund? 30 months into a product i can not realistically use is just not good business.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Many of the 'issues' you mention are feature requests and improvement requests.

vBulletin 5 is usable on a live site right now.
              You can see my demo deployment here:

That is perfectly usable.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------

Comment

• Farook Ahmed
                • Jan 2015
                • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Farook Ahmed
                Would This one be sorted out. One question, most web hosting companies offer unlimited data storage, while actually only the php is unlimited and the mysql is limited, actually very limited. What part of the forum data is stored in the mysql. Photos attachments ect..are they all in mysql.

I have to repeat my query

Comment

• Farook Ahmed
                  • Jan 2015
                  • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                  Many of the 'issues' you mention are feature requests and improvement requests.
                  Need I mention here the Bugs have been Confirmed, downgraded to Minor even though most of them like the one below are critical and have not even been assigned to date.

This is how they read..
                  Key: VBV-13416
                  Type: Bug
                  Priority: 10 - Minor
                  Assignee: Unassigned

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 5.7.X

If you feel it's Critical then you need to provide more information on the criticality of it. As per Glenn's text, it really isn't something that's preventing sites from working which is what a Critical error would be.
                    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Farook Ahmed
                      • Jan 2015
                      • 5.1.x

I guess we have our own definition for the word critical. I can't find this particular thread on vbulletin unless I go through my username. Do you feel taking a problem easy is going to solve it.

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

"Critical" is a developmental definition and refers to specific situations. For example, a bug that prevented people being able to post would be "Critical", or possibly "Showstopper" which is higher still.

Incorrect search results is not ever going to be classed as "Critical" by developmental standards.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

vBulletin is a database-driven application. By default ALL the content, user information, etc is stored in the database.
                          Site owners can choose to store attachments, avatars and other user-uploaded images in the file system if they prefer.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

I guess we have our own definition for the word critical. I can't find this particular thread on vbulletin unless I go through my username. Do you feel taking a problem easy is going to solve it.

Bugs will be prioritized by this scale here:
                            http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...PriorityLevels

Raising the priority would entail a few things. The primary one being how many customers that it affects. This would be the visibility field on the issue. The higher the visibility, the higher the priority.

The second key is the number of votes. When issues start appearing on the popular issues page, they get more visibility and are more likely to get fixed quicker.

Though I do understand that it can be frustrating when the issue that is most critical to you isn't getting worked on. Every customer has different issues that are the #1 priority to get fixed and new issues crop up that need to be fixed. This is why things need to be prioritized by a set of rules. Personally, I find it very frustrating as well since there are issues I know need to be fixed first and get bumped down the list due to some other priority.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Farook Ahmed
                              • Jan 2015
                              • 5.1.x

These Parameters have been altered from Critical to Minor by your staff.

An issue has a priority level which indicates its importance. The currently defined priorities are listed below. In addition, you can add more priority levels in the administration section.
                              Unknown Issue priority is Unknown. 0 - Blocker Blocks development and/or testing work. 2 - Showstopper System is placed in unrecoverable state. Build can not be released. 4 - Critical Crashes, loss of data, severe memory leak, security issue, etc. 6 - Major Major loss of function. 10 - Minor Minor loss of function, or other problem where easy workaround is present. 16 - Trivial Cosmetic problem like misspelt words or misaligned text.

Comment