I feel stupid, Installation problems that don't make sense...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ProphetMW
    • May 2004
    • 5.1.x

I feel stupid, Installation problems that don't make sense...

Okay just to start out, I used vbulletin in the past so I'm not someone entirely new to the system and I have looked around and tried to understand why the problem I have exists before posting about it so please take it for face value. I have walked through the steps listed in the installation description included in the read me file and I also looked up vBulletin's tutorial on how to install vbulletin connect 5 on youtube and the steps being described do not match what I'm finding. First off the install folder is not located directly inside of the upload folder it is farther down inside the core folder for some reason, and the config file in the main folder to upload is not the front end configuration file it's the presentation one so I'm at a loss of how to install this with nothing being in the places it describes. I can screen share if i need to to show you the problem even and get help with whatever has changed or happened. Please help me thank you...
  • TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

Without any specific errors it is difficult to see where exactly your problems are. Still, let's give this a try.

Did you already read the documentation? There is a part that covers how to install vB5. Here is a short version:
    • Download the latest version from the member's area and extract it.
    • Rename the config.php.bkp in /upload to config.php.
    • Rename the config.php.new in /upload/core/includes to config.php.
    • Open the config.php in /upload/core/includes with an editor (for example Notepad++) and fill in your database information. Save your changes.
    • Now upload all the files in /upload to your server.
    • Run the installation script by browsing to www.yourdomain.com/core/install/install.php and follow the on-screen instructions.

As far as I know the whole renaming-thing isn't even neccessary anymore. If your upload all files to your server and run the installation script right away, it checks if you have already entered the neccessary information, and if that is not the case then you are being asked to enter them. However I still prefer the good old rename-first, then upload thing.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

I've got a "step by step" installation guide for vB5.

I find this method usually works for people when they are having difficulty.

Also, make sure you edit the config.php file using a proper text editor, such as Notepad++. Windows Notepad causes problems.

1. Download the newest vB5 release from the members' area. https://members.vbulletin.com

2. Unzip the files and go to the "upload" folder.

3. You need to rename this file:

/config.php.bkp

To:

/config.php

Then, you need to rename this file:

/core/includes/config.php.new

To:

/core/includes/config.php

Then, in that file, you need to complete the following fields:

$config['Database']['dbname'] = 'forum';
      Change forum to whatever your database name is.

$config['Database']['technicalemail'] = '[email protected]';
      Change the email address to your own.

$config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'root';
      Change root to the database username

$config['MasterServer']['password'] = '';
      Enter the database password inside the '' marks.

All other fields should be left as default, unless your database is on a separate server, in which case this will need changing:

$config['MasterServer']['servername'] = 'localhost';

4. Upload all files to your server/webspace/whatever and browse to yourforumpath.com/core/install/install.php.

5. Enter your customer number and the installation will proceed.

6. Delete the /core/install directory after the installation has finished.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment