• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rubenban
    • Sep 2013
    • 5.0.X

css_additional.css does not load when you reply a post

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my forum (version 5.1.5) again. I have customized the theme of my forum editing the css_additional.css template, and now it looks like this:

That's fine, but when I go to any post and I reply it does an AJAX load of the page and then all my design looks wrong. It shows default design.

If I refresh the page, everything seems to work fine again, that's why I think there is a problem with the ajax request loading css_additional.css

I have changed the style vars and I have changed the design correctly through css_additional, but it seems that the AJAX load has a problem loading css_additional after sent a post.
    Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The entire point of using AJAX is so that you don't have to reload anything. Unfortunately, when things are drawn by Javascript, like a new post, not all events get fired and not all CSS will be reapplied. Refreshing the page or anyone else that sees the post will see it properly. This is just how it works currently. There is no way at the moment to improve it.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• rubenban
      • Sep 2013
      • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      The entire point of using AJAX is so that you don't have to reload anything. Unfortunately, when things are drawn by Javascript, like a new post, not all events get fired and not all CSS will be reapplied. Refreshing the page or anyone else that sees the post will see it properly. This is just how it works currently. There is no way at the moment to improve it.

Well... not everyone will see the post properly because if they reply to the post or change the page (on multipage threads), they will use the AJAX function and all the design will be shown wrong again. The javascript should reload the css_additional when any function is executed (it is possible to do it with jQuery for example). I think this is not a proper way to do this, because if we change the design of the forum is to have it everywhere and not only in some sections. It doesn't look very proffesional if you sent a post or change the page of a thread and all the design change and looks bad on the site.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

There are JIRAs to get this implemented. When they will be, I can't say. There isn't some magic keyword that I can give you to fix it in the current versions though.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• rubenban
          • Sep 2013
          • 5.0.X

I can guarantee you that is possible to solve without so much effort. In fact, LIKE ALWAYS with all the issues I had, I will fix the problem at my own. But I don't know for what we pay more than 100$ for a "proffesional CMS software" if it is not ended and also you don't give any support to the customers needs.

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

The support team cannot rewrite the code, if what you're asking requires a change to the software we can only point you to the relevant tracker entry (or invite you to create one if there isn't one already).
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Kevin Sours
              Lead Developer
              • Apr 2008
              • 5.5.x

Problem appears to be not that the additional_css isn't included, but that css files are being added that are overwriting them. You can work around this by !important to your css rules in additional_css. You shouldn't have to though so I'm looking into a real fix.

JIRA is here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-12849

Comment

• rubenban
                • Sep 2013
                • 5.0.X

I solved it adding the content of css_additional to the end of the file xxxxx-main.css in the ./core/clientscript/vbulletin_css/style0006l

I know this is not the best way to solve this, because if I change something in additional_css the name of xxxxx-main.css will change. But for now it's working for me, and it took just 5 minutes to solve the problem. Now if someone send a post reply or change the page in multithread post the appearance of the website still looks good.

Comment

• Kevin Sours
                  Kevin Sours commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That works too. If you look at the JIRA I linked I fixed the problem earlier this week as well as related problem on the media tab. It will land in vB5.1.7
              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...