X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nauti Rogue
    • Jan 2011
    • 4.2.X

Effect of Ubuntu Server Upgrade on vBulletin 5.1.5

I'm running my vBulletin 5.1.5 forum on an Ubuntu VM that I host in my home. The server is currently at Ubuntu 12.04.4. I want to upgrade it to 14.04.1. Has anyone done this? Are there any specific issues I need to watch out for?

I'm more of a Windows guy usually, but I'm gradually learning my way around Ubuntu/Linux. Just don't feel as comfortable with it as I do with Windows. Any comments/thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!
    http://www.lmbp.us/n.bmp

Maximum martinis,minimum bikinis!
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The version of Ubuntu itself has no bearing on vBulletin. The important things would be the underlying daemons for Apache and MySQL along with the PHP version used.

vBulletin 5 should work with PHP 5.4.0 and higher and we recommend MySQL 5.5.X and Apache 2.2.X.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Nauti Rogue
      • Jan 2011
      • 4.2.X

As I remember from your documentation, the minimum version of PHP was something like 5.1 because I remember checking my version to make sure I met the requirements when I upgraded from vBulletin 4.2.0 to 5.1.5 this month. My PHP is at version 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.16.

Regardless, you bring up my exact concern. Does an upgrade to Ubuntu make any changes in PHP, MySQL, or Apache (or anything else) that will affect my installation of vBulletin? Will I break anything in a standard installation of vBulletin without any addons or mods by upgrading Ubuntu?
      http://www.lmbp.us/n.bmp

Maximum martinis,minimum bikinis!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

The minimum PHP versions for vBulletin 5 are:

vBulletin 5.0.5 - PHP 5.3.0
        vBulletin 5.1.0 - PHP 5.3.7
        vBulletin 5.1.5 - PHP 5.4.0

You would have to ask the team at Ubuntu what their upgrades will update. We don't support OSes or keep track of their versioning.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• markavatar
          • Nov 2011
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Nauti Rogue
          Regardless, you bring up my exact concern. Does an upgrade to Ubuntu make any changes in PHP, MySQL, or Apache (or anything else) that will affect my installation of vBulletin? Will I break anything in a standard installation of vBulletin without any addons or mods by upgrading Ubuntu?
          Fwiw -- it's pretty easy to take a hands-on approach to figuring stuff like this out these days. Fire up Ubuntu 14.04.1 on an EC2 instance, do a quick test install of VB5, check things out, kill the instance when you're done.

Probably get all that done in less than an hour, and it gives you a lot of peace of mind on these sorts of issues for a couple bucks out of pocket.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...