Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stcorp
    • Mar 2014
    • 5.0.X

post number increments by several hundred instead of by 1 with every new post

We're running 5.1.5.

We have 6184 topics and 26964 posts across our four subforums.

However, the post/topic id number which can be seen in the URL of each page, is up to over 753000.

If I post a new topic, let's say it has id 753201. If I immediately post another new topic, it will have an id not of 753202 like I would expect, but something 200 or 300 higher, like 753438.

What could cause this, and is it a problem? I'm guessing the number maxes out at some point, and because we're jumping a few hundred with each post instead of just 1, I'm afraid we're going to hit the max and encounter problems.

This also seems to screw up our "Statistics & Logs" / "Statistics" / "New Post Statistics", which falsely show that we had 15690 posts just yesterday, 7334 the day before, and 4056 on Monday. The reality is that we only have 50 to 150 new posts on any given day (and yes I mean posts and not topics).

We have a very vanilla install with only minor CSS customization. We have kept up to date with updates, and, as I said, are running the latest -- 5.1.5.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

ARe you using MySQL in a master-master replication setup? Anything strange in your my.cnf? This would be down to a server configuration.

Comment

• stcorp
      • Mar 2014
      • 5.0.X

Zachery,

We did submit a support ticket on this (ticketid 1337002). Unfortunately the tech who looked at the ticket just said that everything is a node (we realize that) and that on a busy forum, perhaps other things are happening inbetween posts that cause new nodes to be created.

We do not have that busy of a site -- 50 to 100 posts per day. We don't have blogs. There is limited private messaging between members on our site. However, we still have an issue of the nodeid incrementing hugely between posts.

It would be great if someone could take a look at the above ticketid, log into our phpmyadmin using the credentials we supplied as part of the ticket, and investigate what may be going on. We're happy to provide any info you may need.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

You will need to look at the auto-increment increment on your database. This information is not available in phpMyAdmin as far as I am aware. We don't have direct control over this.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/...ment_increment
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• stcorp
          • Mar 2014
          • 5.0.X

The auto-increment is going up by 1. It isn't a function of the auto-increment jumping. Instead, every time a post is made on our site, it seems that hundreds of other nodes are added to the database. We don't know enough about the VB5 table structure to know what those nodes are or why they are being created in the node table. We are hoping you guys do and can tell us why these hundreds of entries are being created with every post.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

It would be notifications if anything. The system doesn't create blank empty nodes though.

In 5.1.6, the notifications are being separated from the node system so you'll have to see if it continues once you upgrade to that version. Is it causing problems with the operation of your site?
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• stcorp
              • Mar 2014
              • 5.0.X

Ok, we'll wait it out for 5.1.6 and see what happens then.

We believe the creation of these extra nodes is what makes it take an incredibly long time for each post to be made on our site, and we were also concerned about how rapidly the node number was increasing which could lead to a potential overflow problem on that number a couple of years down the road as the forum grows.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...