X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deve@speedprint.com
    • Dec 2014
    • 5.1.x

First Upgrade Help

This is the first time I have upgraded my VB5. So how do you copy files to the server? Whats confusing me is the settings where I did put images in the file system, as well as the pages themselves, and how are they handled with a fresh install? If you rename in this case forums.devestechnet.com to something else, then move the upload directory to the server, change the name to forums.devestechnet.com and run the config, wouldnt you lose ALOT of stuff? How do you overcome this? What about changes to the additional css file? Etc.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Using your FTP client, upload the files in the upload directory of your download package to your webserver. When the FTP client says "These files exist, do you want to overwrite?" say yes. It will not overwrite any pre-existing content. It will not overwrite your config.php files.

After uploading the files, you would then run the upgrade.php found at /core/install/upgrade.php by appending that to your forum URL in a web browser.

When the upgrade script completes delete the directory at /core/install.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• deve@speedprint.com
      • Dec 2014
      • 5.1.x

What do I do now? A database error occured, please check the database settings in the config file or enable debug mode for additional information.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Did you follow the steps above exactly or did you make other changes to the files?
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• glennrocksvb
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Mar 2011
          • 5.7.X

For your reference, here is the documentation on upgrading vBulletin:

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• deve@speedprint.com
            • Dec 2014
            • 5.1.x

Well, Wayne, I did take the config.php and copy my database names and particulars in it before doing the above. Was that wrong? Sorry for being such a bother, but if its possible to screw something up, you can always count on me.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

If you were already running vB5, you don't need to change the config.php files.
              If you still have copies of the old files, put the original copy of /core/includes/config.php back up.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• deve@speedprint.com
                • Dec 2014
                • 5.1.x

I am paranoid that I probably screws thing up pretty bad so I had my host restore a backup I did this morning prior to this. Ill just start all over again. Thanks guys!

Comment

• deve@speedprint.com
                  • Dec 2014
                  • 5.1.x

Ok, started all over again, this time only doing what Wayne said above. SAME result.
                  A database error occured, please check the database settings in the config file or enable debug mode for additional information. What should I do next?

Comment

• deve@speedprint.com
                    • Dec 2014
                    • 5.1.x

THis is what I get when I just try to go to the forums.devestechnet.com site

Notice: Undefined config property 'core_path' in /home/speedpri/public_html/forums.devestechnet.com/includes/api/interface/collapsed.php on line 15 in/home/speedpri/public_html/forums.devestechnet.com/includes/vb5/config.php on line 64

Warning: require_once(/vb/vb.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in/home/speedpri/public_html/forums.devestechnet.com/includes/api/interface/collapsed.php on line 16

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/vb/vb.php' (include_path='/usr/local/php4/lib/php:.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in/home/speedpri/public_html/forums.devestechnet.com/includes/api/interface/collapsed.php on line 16

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

You haven't uploaded all the files.

Please download a fresh copy of the files from the members area, and upload them all to the server.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• deve@speedprint.com
                        • Dec 2014
                        • 5.1.x

Action Required
                        Unexpected Text:
                        http://forums.devestechnet.com/core/install/upgrade.php <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <error>Customer Number Incorrect</error> I got further after fixing the config file. Not sure why I needed to, but can anyone explain this? My customer ID IS correct.

Comment

• deve@speedprint.com
                          • Dec 2014
                          • 5.1.x

Also, I am getting this above the menu...
                          http://forums.devestechnet.com/core/install/upgrade.php Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at .../includes/config.php:3) in .../install/includes/class_upgrade_ajax.php on line 693 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at .../includes/config.php:3) in .../install/includes/class_upgrade_ajax.php on line 769 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at .../includes/config.php:3) in .../install/includes/class_upgrade_ajax.php on line 770

Comment

• deve@speedprint.com
                            • Dec 2014
                            • 5.1.x

Mark.. still start over?

Comment

• deve@speedprint.com
                              • Dec 2014
                              • 5.1.x

Anyone? This is my luck where you fix one thing, and move on to the VERY next thing ad nauseum. I wonder what it would be like to just actually be able to cut to the chase!

Comment