• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rk1708
    • Jan 2015
    • 5.1.x

Many Question

Hi VB Admins,

First I'd like to say that the AdminCP is not user friendly at all, this is the worst I've ever seen. There are many issues/lacking in the software which shouldn't be in a $399 forum software.

I'm running my forum at http://forum.masterplansindia.com and have several questions as below
    1. How can I edit the CSS of VB5 default theme? I need to make some changes. For example, I want to change the default body background image.
    2. It shows a long URL of CSS file in the firebug on Firefox, How do I identify which CSS file to edit to make the desired change?
    3. In topic attachments, only 3 are displayed as thumbnails and then comes the album link, How can I increase this number, example at http://forum.masterplansindia.com/fo...ts-floor-plans.
    4. Receiving error on the "Message Attachment Options" settings group, attached image.
    5. What happens when I check or Uncheck Styles in Style Manager.
    6. When I add a new forum selecting a category as a parent channel, the channel name is added in the URL of forum, but when I first create forum without selecting a parent channel and then later edit it and assign the parent channel, the URL of channel is not added. Why is this? is it a bug? or it is the way it is?
    7. How can I add custom Title/Meta Description to the forums and categories? I want title to be different from the Forum Name because I want to keep the forum name small and include keywords in the title.
    8. I want to display the Advanced Editing options or the editor by default when a user want to create a new topic, how can I achieve this?
    9. How can I remove the /forum from the forum url and /forum-name from the thread/topic URL?
    10. This user on my forum http://forum.masterplansindia.com/member/4-netguyrk has created only 2 topics/posts but it is showing 8 in the profile>about section, why?
    11. Will come up more questions very soon as the platform doesn't seem to be built by a talented team who really cares for their customers and their hard earned money?

Please do revert ASAP.

Thanks
    Last edited by rk1708; Tue 20 Jan '15, 12:42am. Reason: Added one more point
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

1. You need to change the stylevars in Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Style Variable Editor. Here's the full list of style vars available.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...ions-full-list

There may be cases where no stylevar for certain elements on the page. In that case, you need to add custom CSS in css_additional.css template or via Sitebuilder (Edit Site ON) > Style > CSS Editor.
    2. Check #1
    3. The number of thumbnails is currently not configurable. It is hardcoded in the PHP. You have to modify the PHP if you want but that is not recommended.
    4. You have to increase the memory limit in php.ini. Ask your host to change this.
    5. When you uncheck a style, it will not be available for end user to choose in the Style dropdown in the lower hand corner of the site. Note that for Administrators, all styles are always visible.
    6. I think this is by design.
    7. Go to the forum channel page then click Edit Site ON > Edit Page > Save Page, then you can specify the Meta description for that channel.
    8. That's not configurable yet at this time.
    9. Are you sure you want to remove /forum? That is used to distinguish it from /blogs, /articles, /social-groups.
      For the /forum-name, that is good for SEO. You don't want to remove that.
    10. I have no idea.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• TLMD
      • Sep 2012
      • 5.6.X

Originally posted by rk1708
      10. This user on my forum http://forum.masterplansindia.com/member/4-netguyrk has created only 2 topics/posts but it is showing 8 in the profile>about section, why?
      Did he also upload images? Those count as content and they increase the posts counter.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        • Mar 2011
        • 5.7.X

Originally posted by TLMD
        Did he also upload images? Those count as content and they increase the posts counter.
        That's what I thought. That doesn't make sense though.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Replicant
          • Sep 2014

#8 This works but will not allow the advanced editor functions to be hidden by anyone who doesn't want to see it. This also causes clicking the x to not close the toolbar which will make it appear to be a bug, but it is not.
          Add to css_additional.css
          Code:
          .b-editor--cke-toolbar-is-hidden .cke_top {
              display: inline-block;
          }
          #11 Throwing out insults to the team that is here to help you will accomplish nothing.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
            • Mar 2011
            • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Replicant
            #8 This works but will not allow the advanced editor functions to be hidden by anyone who doesn't want to see it. This also causes clicking the x to not close the toolbar which will make it appear to be a bug, but it is not.
            Add to css_additional.css
            Code:
            .b-editor--cke-toolbar-is-hidden .cke_top {
            display: inline-block;
            }
            A template hook can be created to programmatically click the A icon on page load.

Hook Location: editor_after_secondary_toolbar_icons

Template:
            Code:
            <script>
            (function() {
                window.addEventListener('load', function() {
                    $('.b-toolbar__item[data-panel="b-content-entry-panel__content--toggle-editor"]').click();
                });
            })();
            </script>

Comment

• Replicant
              Replicant commented
              Editing a comment
              That's better than my hack.
          • Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

First, I’d like to take a moment to note that the software is 249 USD, not 399, though you may have purchased the mobile bundle
            1. Glenn covered this, but aside from modifying stylevars, you can add your own css and overriding rules to the css_additional.css template in the AdminCP > Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Click on << >>to expand the template list. Highlight the CSS template group, and click on the << >> again, or double click it to expand it. From here you can highlight and click modify/edit or double click the css_additional.css template
            2. It isnot recommended to edit the actual css templates, as upgrades may not go as smoothly. Per item 1, if you make note to only make changes/overrides here, it makes your upgrades in the long run smoother.
            3. Glenn answered this, also see http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-13914 vote on the improvement request/bug to increase its priority
            4. That is an odd error to get there. Do you know if your webhost has anything setup to scan/block content? Per Glenn’s response you can increase the memory limit. You can try adding ini_set(“memory_limit”, “128M”); to your config.php file. It may help in the short term, but I can’t think of a good reason why the system would run out of memory here.
            5. Glenn covered this
            6. This is by design, URL’s are generated when created, and not altered. This is good for you in the long run. 2 years from now when you modify a name, it’d be bad if the url suddenly changed.
            7. Site builder per Glenn’s directions are correct.
            8. That’s not possible right now, it would require modifications to the code.
            9. A lot of work, that really ins’t worth it. You’d have to manually rename every single thread every time it is created.
            10. I think the system is currently counting each of his photo gallery items as a post right now. His media tab shows 8 images, and he has 5 posts, which adds up to 13. I’ve added a bug: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-14154
            11. Based on? I would argue that you’re new to the software and its not familiar. The people who work on the software daily put in a lot of effort and care into the software.

Comment

• rk1708
              • Jan 2015
              • 5.1.x

OK, Thanks all, I have few more questions to the members/support staff

1. What is the exact procedure to upgrade my forum to the latest release 5.1.5 after I download it from Members area?
              2. What are the things which will be affected after the upgrade and how much?
              3. How can I add Google Analytics code to the forum and which template file to edit, and how to navigate to that template file?
              4. How to know which template to edit If I want to add Google Adsense ads at custom locations in my theme/template?
              5. Is there any plugin/option to show related topics from the same Forum in the sidebar/bottom on the topic page?
              6. What is the RSS Feed URL of VB5?
              7. Is there any way I can display latest forum topics on my Wordpress blog on different hosting?
              8. Glenn answered my 1st question in previous list and shared the link, http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...ions-full-list. I want to know what are these, where do I find these? and how to edit these?
              9. Answer of my 2nd question in previous list is still not clear to me, I see the names of multiple CSS files in the Firefox FIrebug, How do I know exactly which CSS file to edit to make the desired change, attached is snapshot for reference.
              10. If I insert an inline-image into the topic content, it gets resized automatically to a smaller version and there is no option to insert it in the full/original size. Even if I attach the full size version using the attachment option, it displays the resized version of that image of attachment page.
              11. How can I specify Alt text for image.
              12. The topic editor automatically inserts as few <br /> after every image? is it a bug?
              13. When I attached the image with this topic, it displayed the processing bar in a small pop-up and a field to add something about the image, how can I enable this on my forum?
              14. I've many more questions, will come up with those once these are answered/resolved.

Thanks

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                • Mar 2011
                • 5.7.X

1. http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade
                2. If you have a vB5 license, upgrading to 5.x is free.
                3. AdminCP > Settings > Options > Google Analytics (Do not include <script></script> tags)
                4. You don't edit templates to add advertisements. Just go to Sitebuilder (Edit Site ON) > Edit Page, and then drag and drop Ad module to the page and edit module (pencil icon) to enter the Ad code (include <script></script> tags). To add ads to the header, you go to Header instead of Edit Page, then click Edit button for Header Ad HTML Module.
                5. Go to vbulletin.org to find plugins.
                6. AdminCP > Settings > Options > External Data Provider > Enable RSS Syndication. Then RSS icon/link will show next to forums
                7. If you can find a Wordpress widget that can be embedded outside Wordpress site (like embedding youtube videos outside youtube.com), then you can embed it in an HTML module in vBulletin. Adding HTML module is done in Sitebuilder and is similar to adding Ad module in step 4.
                8. http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...stylevariables
                9. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...30#post4182030
                10. Use Paper Clip icon to attach images not Camera icon. Using this button gives you option to embed images in different sizes.
                11. Which image?
                12. I don't know.
                13. Adding caption to the images (attached via Camera icon) is always enabled and never configurable.

Comment

• rk1708
                  • Jan 2015
                  • 5.1.x

This is too confusing,

About Question 4,

I'm facing some weird issues with the templates, this is what is happening with me

I added HTML modules to the template of my Forum page and added Ad Code to those modules, I then saved it as a new template giving it a name.

I went to new forum page, selected the same template and saved it by overwriting. But when I went to edit the same template to next forum page, it is now displayed there in the template list.

This is something confusing, Also, How can I apply the same template to all my forum pages. I've a lot of forum pages and selecting the template for each forum is a time consuming task.

ALSO,

The LATEST TOPICS, CHANNEL DISPLAY, SUB-CHANNEL DISPLAY modules are not available in the module list on my forum.

11. I'm talking about the image which we add in the topics.

I've not downloaded the Mobile bundle yet, Can I request refund for that?

Comment

• rk1708
                    • Jan 2015
                    • 5.1.x

Anyone there to reply to my latest questions in the thread?

Comment

• rk1708
                      • Jan 2015
                      • 5.1.x

Hi,

I've upgraded to 5.1.5

I did not find the option in my admincp to set the Maximum Displayed Threads Before Page Split as mentioned at the manual link below

'Below is the screenshot of my forum admincp

Click image for larger version

Name:	forumdisplay.png
Views:	208
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	4289053

Comment

• TLMD
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 5.6.X

Originally posted by rk1708
                        I did not find the option in my admincp to set the Maximum Displayed Threads Before Page Split as mentioned at the manual link below
                        That is done via Site Builder. Go to the forum/channel you want to edit, then activate Site Builder ("Edit Site: On") and click on "Edit Site". Edit the Channel Display Module. The setting you are looking for is "Topics Results per Page", I think. Don't forget to save your changes.

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

If you look at that manual link, you'll notice it is a bit odd, that is because you're looking at a page in the manual for an older version of the software.

Comment

• rk1708
                            • Jan 2015
                            • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                            If you look at that manual link, you'll notice it is a bit odd, that is because you're looking at a page in the manual for an older version of the software.
                            But the manual page mentions VB 5.1.5 as the default version in the dropdown in left top.
                            Last edited by rk1708; Thu 5 Feb '15, 2:03am.

Comment