X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrPrepper
    • Jan 2012
    • 4.1.x

Structure, Content Strategy, Vision and Roadmap for vB5

I already have a vB4 forum running (forum only, not the CMS part) and am starting a new site with forum. So I decided to give it a try with the new vB5 which I bought a couple of days ago. My main arguments to go for vB5 are: responsive layout and MVC architecture.

My desired structure
    - / (root) Homepage with custom content, news, etc
    - /forum
    - /blogs
    - /articles

If I want to do this all with vB, I need to install it in the root of the site ofcourse. But as far as I can see, currently there is no option in the software to create a homepage, right? The vb5readme.html states "The CMS/Article System is not support in vBulletin 5.0. It will return in a future version."

• Does this mean it won't be part of in the first official (Gold) release of vB5.0? So it's no longer a core functionality? (This means I need to choose a different product - like Wordpress - for the homepage and articles ...)

Vision and Roadmap for vB5
    Where is the feature list of vB5? Where is the Roadmap? Most stuff I read is:
    • We do not have a ballpark estimate on when vB5 Connect Gold will be released. (here)
    • The CMS/Article System is not support in vBulletin 5.0. It will return in a future version. (in beta27 vb5readme.html)
    • The infraction system is not supported in vBulletin 5.0. It will return in a future version. (in beta27 vb5readme.html)
    • The FAQ System is not supported in vBulletin 5.0. It will return in a future version. (in beta27 vb5readme.html)
    • We don't know if it (custom page homepage) will be added when the CMS is added as we're nowhere near that stage at this time. (here, post from Jan 26th, i.e. 5 days ago)
    ... "Nowhere near that stage"? What can we - as paying customers - make of this? How many more beta releases can we expect?
    I know ofcourse that a beta is a beta and it can be buggy etc, but you do have a roadmap for the build/releases I assume?
    And a complete list of the main features the Gold release 5.0 will contain?

vB4 is a beautiful product, but for modern webbuilding standards it is completely outdated. So it's great news that vB5 will have a completely new architecture. But in my humble opinion you have to be clear and open to your customers where you're heading regarding the features and (global) planning.
    Thank you.
  • Ramsesx
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

There isn't much information of future features or a road map at all.
    The cms will not be included in the gold release. Nobody can tell you when it comes or how many more betas will be released.

Comment

• DrPrepper
      • Jan 2012
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Ramsesx
      There isn't much information of future features or a road map at all.
      The cms will not be included in the gold release. Nobody can tell you when it comes or how many more betas will be released.
      Just what I thought. But before I jump to conclusion about what this says about quality of service towards customers, I'll wait for a reply of the vB staff.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

You can create a home page using the Site Builder at this time. Activate it and click on 'New Page' to create it.

Regarding the CMS, it will be one of the first items worked on after Gold as we realise the importance of getting it back in for sites using the Publishing Suite.
        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• DrPrepper
          • Jan 2012
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
          You can create a home page using the Site Builder at this time. Activate it and click on 'New Page' to create it.
          Tried that but didn't work (my new page at site root level got automatically replaced by new forum page/link), but maybe I gave up to fast. Will try again.

Regarding the CMS, it will be one of the first items worked on after Gold as we realise the importance of getting it back in for sites using the Publishing Suite.
          Thanks for this info. What aditional info can you give me on the part of Feature list and Roadmap/Timeline? Doesn't need to be week-specific (or even 1 month), but at least I need to know if a good Release Candidate is planned for the next 3 months. If it will take longer I'll have to drop vB5 and start my new site in vB4, but that also means a huge leap back in technology (and layout) and will cost me extra time to migrate to vB5 accordingly later on.

Assuming that vBulletin Solutions Inc is a very professional company (hence the 10+ years in business, empowering 40.000+ communities, world leader in forum and community publishing software) I don't see any reason not being able or obligated to publish this info.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

I can't give dates unfortunately as I don't have access to any information of that kind I'm afraid. It's something we're looking to get and I know some information was being put together but I don't know how close it is to being made available.
            Vote for:

Comment

• DrPrepper
              • Jan 2012
              • 4.1.x

I can't give dates unfortunately as I don't have access to any information of that kind I'm afraid.
              That's not even close to the answer I want to hear from you/vBulletin Solutions Inc.

What's keeping you from going to the one in charge, the big chief, the president of vBulletin? And ask "We've been promoting vB5 and selling betas for months now, our customers are entitled to receiving some usefull info on the feature list and roadmap, don't you think?"

Don't you agree?
              Maybe it's easy for me to say because I'm Dutch And in the Netherlands we're infamous for being so direct with stuff like this ...

Comment

• Ramsesx
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by DrPrepper
                That's not even close to the answer I want to hear from you/vBulletin Solutions Inc.

What's keeping you from going to the one in charge, the big chief, the president of vBulletin? And ask "We've been promoting vB5 and selling betas for months now, our customers are entitled to receiving some usefull info on the feature list and roadmap, don't you think?"

Don't you agree?
                All was discussed several times from up to down and left to right. No chance to change things. That's the way it works, here.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Aug 2002
                  • 5.7.X

We have never given release dates and no amount of asking anyone right up to Bob Brisco will give you a date.
                  Vote for:

Comment

• DrPrepper
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 4.1.x

We have never given release dates and no amount of asking anyone right up to Bob Brisco will give you a date.
                    You almost make it sound like a cool company attitude. Which it's not, ofcourse.
                    In my humble opinion it's shameful and very unprofessional. Not saying that to insult you - I don't blame you yourself- but the company vBulletin/InternetBrands is entitled to upset customer response because of this attitude.

Comment