X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PiotrGT1
    • Nov 2014
    • 5.1.x

How to set to 10 posts per page - unable to do so

I have limited posts/replies per topic to 10 per page (default value was: 5,10,20,30,40) and Im getting 15 for the admin account and guest account. The interesting thing is that the registered users get 15+. 40, and even 178 posts per page. As if the settings did not update for all roles which is strange...

How can I limit this to 10 posts per page for ALL roles (guest, regular users, and admin)? I have rebuilt all indexes, posts, threads, and optimized all tables and things are still the same.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Editing this page (while on your own site, in site builder) should allow you to edit the module and change the default. Though the users personal overrides from the settings page, or from prior to the upgrade would still take precedence.

Comment

• PiotrGT1
      • Nov 2014
      • 5.1.x

I have upgraded from phpbb3 to vb4 and now to vb5 so I dont know whats the default post count...

I did as you mentioned and now im getting 10 posts per page but again for admin and guests.

The registered users still get up to 173 posts per page but the funny thing is I have set my post count in the profile page from "default" to "10" and it worked and when I have set it back to "default" again it remained at "10" which is great. However, when I have asked my friend what does he see's, he said 173 posts for that particular topic, so its still not working for registered users. Is there a fix for this? some sort of mass SQL query which will set 10 posts for all registered users?

Comment

• Skedoozy
        • Jun 2006

I am having this exact same problem. I disabled users being able to set their own posts per page. I updated the module to 50 per page.

So here is what happens. I have a post with 90+ posts. when I go into the post it shows that there are 4 pages, but all posts are displayed on page 1. When I change the page to the next page it changes from there being multiple pages, to showing there is only one page and all the posts are still on that page.

It will also show that there are like 275 posts in the thread but there are only 90.

It seems like there are settings somewhere else that are not being overridden by the module change.

Comment

• PiotrGT1
          PiotrGT1 commented
          Editing a comment
          They should develop a feature for this... for example in the admin panel in the post settings there should be a "force the default value posts per page for all users" check box.

There could be an bug that needs to be resolved, but still it's a feature that should be considered - "Force default number of pages for all users"
      • Skedoozy
        • Jun 2006

Well there is the setting if you don't put in any values for them to change it to. That's not the problem here. The problem is that vBulletin doesn't seem to know what the correct posts per page are.

For me as the admin I am set to Forum Default. There are no other choices. Well there shouldn't be since I deleted them, but they are actually still there in the user settings. But again, the topic page doesn't seem to know what the actual posts per page is.

For instance I have a thread that is has 53 posts in it. Well when I go in all 53 posts are on that page but it thinks there are 3 pages. So what would that posts per page be? It's 20? 20 isn't a setting for posts per page anywhere in my site. But click any of those pages and it goes back to 1 page with all the posts on it.

It makes no sense that this is happening.

Comment

• PiotrGT1
          PiotrGT1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Try going to Conservation > General Update tools in the Admin Panel and rebuild the topics and posts...
      • PiotrGT1
        • Nov 2014
        • 5.1.x

Is there a way for us to simply get rid of the posts per page feature for users in the Profile settings area?

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

You'd have to comment it out of the template.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• PiotrGT1
            PiotrGT1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great, can you please tell me where and which lines?
        • PiotrGT1
          • Nov 2014
          • 5.1.x

Anyway, I did a small test. So the "old registered users" (ones who registered before the post per page update) still see 15+ posts per page, but the newly registered users see the correct amount - 15 posts.
          So is there a way to force 15 posts for the "old registered" users - before we applied the update.
          Last edited by PiotrGT1; Sat 17 Jan '15, 3:13am.

Comment

• Skedoozy
            • Jun 2006

That is what was happening on my end as well. I asked them to change their setting to match what I entered and that worked. But since the patch today and following Marks steps in my thread I think that forced everyone to see what I set, regardless of their setting. I changed mine to 50 per page in the module, 50 is not a user option at all, but I am seeing 50. So hopefully this means all are seeing 50.

Comment

• PiotrGT1
              • Nov 2014
              • 5.1.x

You know what? That's the funny part because I got in touch with some more of my "older users" (before new page/post values) and it turns out to be a mixed thing. Some people see 15+ posts and some are seeing 15. I really dont get it..... but one thing is certain when they adjust it in their profile and set it to like 10 and then back to default, then they see 15 or whatever the default value I set. I think we need some feature for VB that will force such updates on all accounts so that changes get overwritten on all accounts.

Comment

• Skedoozy
                • Jun 2006

Especially when you disable the ability for them to change it.

Comment

• PiotrGT1
                  • Nov 2014
                  • 5.1.x

It's been 5 days and no support - can anyone look into this issue>

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

under options Conversation Detail Options users can choose how many posts per page they want. If you want to set it to default

UPDATE TABLEPREFIXuser SET maxposts = '-1';

This, however, will only use whatever the widget is defaulted to.

Comment

• Josh789
                      • Apr 2015
                      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                      under options Conversation Detail Options users can choose how many posts per page they want. If you want to set it to default

UPDATE TABLEPREFIXuser SET maxposts = '-1';

This, however, will only use whatever the widget is defaulted to.
                      Where would I set the bold?

Comment

• Josh789
                        • Apr 2015
                        • 5.1.x

Bump. I know it's an old thread but I really need this please.

Comment