X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • humpty
    • Mar 2011
    • 4.1.x

Could be normal, but is it?

OK this may seem like a trivial question and could be as natural as breathing air, but it's something that I will be asked when my site goes live.

When I log in I check the 'remember me' box - I can go about the site and access all areas including admin and page editing, etc. When I close my browser and go back, say in an hour or so time, I have to log back in again. I know for a fact that my members will ask 'why?' when they don't have to do this on the current forum they're using - they can be a real finicky lot lol.

If it's a session thing, is there a way to shut it off and if there is, is it a desirable thing to do?
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Are you using 'private browsing' in your browser?
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• humpty
      • Mar 2011
      • 4.1.x

Not that I'm aware of - using Google Chrome with the default settings that are implemented on installation. I've not changed anything.

Now I've just logged in using IE10 (windows 7) and I'm logged in, but I've not used this browser since Sunday, so it's looking like it could be a Chrome issue.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Sounds like something in Chrome is deleting cookies when you close the browser. We don't really have control over that. We can provide an expiration time as a suggestion. This is how Remember Me works. It sets the expiration date of the cookie to a year in the future instead of the default of 15 minutes. Every page resets the expiration of the cookie. However the browser is actually in control over cookie management and can override anything we send it. So if you have an addon or setting that deletes cookies when the browser is closed then the cookie is deleted and you'll be logged out on your next visit.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• humpty
          • Mar 2011
          • 4.1.x

Thanks for that info Wayne, I'll have to dig into the guts of Chrome to see what's what as this doesn't happen in IE10. Mind you, the latest version of Chrome is acting up in other ways too that can be annoying, so I reckon the developers of Chrome have some work to do. It's interesting to know that the expiration date of the cookie set by VB has a one year expiration date when the 'remember me' box is checked.

Comment

• Videx
            • Jan 2007

It's not Chrome itself as I use Chrome and I haven't been logged out for ages. I always tell members to look to antivirus/antimalware app settings that are deleting cookies.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Occasionally I have seen corrupt profiles cause this sort of thing, so it may be worth creating a new one in the browser and testing with that.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment