Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wjpeck
    • Nov 2012

Topics do not appear in forum module

I just upgraded to beta 20, and the forum modules now have four tabs, Topics, Latest Activities, My Subscriptions, and Photos. I edited the module so that Topics is the first in the list and the default tab. When you click on a forum from the main page however, the Topics tab comes up empty and says "No topics found," even though I have 16 topics in the forum. You have to click on a different tab and then back to the topics tab before the topics appear. I am beginning a new forums site and I can't expect my new members to work this hard to find topics so they can participate in the conversations. They'll just leave the website all together. How do I fix this?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

This is a known issue and rectified in Beta 21 which should be available soon.

For now, verify your permissions in the Channel Permissions section. Make sure they have the "Can Reply to Others" permission. And reset the cache under maintenance. Or you can manually apply the changes in this thread: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-6384
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• wjpeck
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      For now, verify your permissions in the Channel Permissions section. Make sure they have the "Can Reply to Others" permission. And reset the cache under maintenance.
      Yeah I'm going to need a little more direction here Wayne. I go admincp -> Channel Management -> [then Channel Permissions or View Permissions?] There are a lot of variables in both Channel Permissions and View Permissions in terms of channels and usergroups. Which ones should I check to make sure "Can Reply to Others" is active? Are you sure that this is the only one that needs to be activated, because none of the boxes in View Permissions had checks in them?

Also, I read that bug report, and I'm not sure it applies to what I'm dealing with. I'm not getting an invalid node id error as far as I can tell. In fact, I'm not getting an error notice at all. The forum module simply tells the user that there are no topics in the forums, which is not the case. If the user clicks to a different tab and then clicks back, the topics show up. To deal with this problem in the meantime, I've made Latest Activity my default tab and switched its time range to All Time. Now the topics appear for users when they first click on a forum, but I would like to go back to having Topics as my default tab eventually.

Comment