Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DemOnstar
    • Nov 2012

VB5 and WAMP

Hello there..... I have just purchased VB5 and I want to play around with it on a WAMP server. I first loaded VB 4.2 on WAMP and it was okay and fairly easy. Then I cleared everything to make way for VB 5 but I cannot get it to work. I think it is the presentation config that I have the problem with. What would the base url be on localhost? Thankyou....

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a better testing environment for VB 5 other than WAMP, something that is more suitable perhaps? I don't want to upload to the web for testing as I am currently travelling in China and the internet is quite temperamental to say the least. Much better to keep it on the laptop. Thanks all.......

• Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

It should work fine on WAMP provided you have the relevant modules setup within PHP (mod_rewrite etc). Localhost should be sufficient for the config file URL
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• DemOnstar
      • Nov 2012

I see you are from Bolton Trevor, I am from Wigan originally. Thanks for the response owd lad. I am currently downloading XAMPP because I cant get WAMP to do it's thing. No problem with the one config file with VB 4.2. I did get WAMP to perform one install with VB 5, but it was unusable. Is there a recommended test environment?

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Unuseable in what way.

Comment

• DemOnstar
          • Nov 2012

Unusable as in after scrolling through lots of errors, I found the VB 5 UI at the bottom of the page and it looked disjointed. Currently I have this to look at. Notice: Undefined index: dbtype in C:\wamp\www\core\vb\db\assertor.php on line 115 Notice: Undefined index: dbtype in C:\wamp\www\core\vb\db\assertor.php on line 121 Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class vB_dB_Assertor in C:\wamp\www\core\vb\db\assertor.php on line 18

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

What version of PHP, MySQL are you running in WAMP?

PS. Not from Bolton, just live here hence the tartan cape in my avatar...
            Vote for:

Comment

• DemOnstar
              • Nov 2012

Pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	Core config.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	3690824Click image for larger version

Name:	Pres config.JPG
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	3690825Sorry if this is not the best method but these are my current config files.

- - - Updated - - -

Click image for larger version

Name:	WAMP.JPG
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	3690827

- - - Updated - - -

I have finally managed to input my customer number only to be stopped at the next step.Click image for larger version

Name:	VB.JPG
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	3690828hungry now, back later. Thanks all.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by DemOnstar; Fri 7 Dec '12, 3:46am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Thousands of customers, developers, support staff and QA run vBulletin successfully on their local machines. However it is not plug and play. There are configuration issues both in vBulletin and the server software that must be dealt with to be successful.

First problem is that you don't have the MySQL classes installed, you only have mysqli. You need to update /core/includes/config.php to use mysqli on the database class variable or install mysql support. This isn't enabled by default on Windows OSes. There are instructions on how to do this on both the php.net site and Microsoft's IIS sites.

Next, According to your /core/includes/config.php file you're using the default values and have edited these to actually connect to a database on your server. That is the second issue. Once you create a database and update the config.php to connect to that database it should work. You also need to change the localhost value to 127.0.0.1 as specifed in the comments. MySQL doesn't listen to the IPv6 IP of ::1 which is where Windows redirects localhost. Though vBulletin will create the database if you connect with the MySQL Root user, just have to specify a valid password and database name.

Third, vBulletin 5 requires mod_rewrite support. This is an Apache Module. You will need to make sure this is installed on your server following the instructions on the Apache website. You will also need to edit your httpd.conf file and change all instances of AllowOverride None to AllowOverride All. Once you make these changes you will need to restart the Apache service in your Window's Control Panel (Control Panel -> Administrative -> Services)

Finally, in the presentation config.php file you need to change Localhost to http://localhost. Otherwise Windows will redirect you to the IPv6 address of ::1 instead of the IPv4 address of 127.0.0.1 where Apache is listening.

For a Windows Environment it is might be easier to configure IIS, PHP and MySQL to run vBulletin. Microsoft has all the instructions on their websites and it takes about 15 minutes to set up. Or you might want to use a package like WampServer or XAMPP to get started until you learn more about server management and configuration. I prefer Wampserver in this scenario but the most popular is XAMPP. However I tend to go the IIS, PHP and MySQL route these days. Simply easier to maintain on my machines. Good Luck.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• DemOnstar
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  For a Windows Environment it is might be easier to configure IIS, PHP and MySQL to run vBulletin. Microsoft has all the instructions on their websites and it takes about 15 minutes to set up. Or you might want to use a package like WampServer or XAMPP to get started until you learn more about server management and configuration. I prefer Wampserver in this scenario but the most popular is XAMPP. However I tend to go the IIS, PHP and MySQL route these days. Simply easier to maintain on my machines. Good Luck.
                  Mr Luke and everybody concerned, thank you for your time in all of this. From all I see, I think it is better if I looked at another means of testing the site. I am totally new at this stuff and from what I can see, it would be overwhelming for me to attempt anything. I will however look at the above option to see if my brain can get around that approach. Thanks all....I looked at the instructions and already I said no. I am not used to this level of messing around. I will think of something. Thanks again...
                  Last edited by DemOnstar; Fri 7 Dec '12, 6:44pm.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 5.7.X

Install it on your web server and protect the directory it's in via .htaccess/.htpasswd or the IIS equivalent
                    Vote for:

Comment

• DemOnstar
                      • Nov 2012

I have finally managed to install it and run with WAMP. A lot of messing around and doing stuff as mentioned by Mr Luke. Headache but thanks. A few questions though. How is the Nav bar font size controlled? I have also noticed after writing a Blog that only one edit option works. At the bottom when you click on edit, it will allow. At the top where edit is in a drop down menu, this button doesn't allow. All the other options in the same drop down menu take you to the next step. Another question is to do with the fluid movement of the pages but I don't know yet how to explain this, ho, ho. Okay, back soon. Thanks again....

Comment